Where/how to sell a drobo 5d?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chfilm, Jan 14, 2014.

1. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

Hi,

I've got a fully loaded drobo 5d with 5TB and a crucial msata ssd.
    I was trying to sell it on eBay but no one would bid for it!

Problem is I'm in Germany.. So if anyone has any ideas at all where to sell this thing...would be welcome!

2. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Can not offer you any other suggestions but Ebay as you are in Germany. Unless you have something like Craigslist in Germany where you can sell it locally. If it did not sell, then maybe your price was a bit high. Do a search on Ebay of completed auctions for the same or close to drobo's that have sold and see what they got for them. Then maybe rethink what you can ask for it.

Also consider in the shipping cost because to ship this internationally will be expensive and buyers will be considering this into their purchase price. I know it may not be what you want to hear, but you will only get what the market is willing to bare. Sometimes it is not worth selling and is better to keep.

3. chfilm thread starter macrumors 65816

chfilm

Thx well, not what I wanted to hear but what I was afraid to ;)

I'd really like to swap the drobo for a pegasus2r4...considering it cost exactly the same 12 months ago I thought it would be worth at least 700€ with drives while a new one without drives goes on sale for 650...

4. giffut macrumors 6502

You ...

... surely can use eBays own Craigslist kind of service in Germany: http://kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/anzeigen/

I use it myself occasionally and its pretty much good seller/buyer spirit there. Many private seller moved over from eBays auctions, as provision fees get ridiculously expensive (reaching 10%).

Cautions apply of course, as always for private markets – be polite, stay in contact, ask questions and get a feel for it.

I might be interested, though: What kind of price do you contemplate about in €?

5. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

You're probably listing it too high. Pull the drives and sell it as a bare unit for 2/3rd retail as the minimum price minus the cost of the drives.

I wouldn't buy a used drobbo. You never know why people are selling it. Could be prone to data corruption, the drives could be ancient and on their last legs and they're including them to inflate the price, think from the point of view of a buyer.