Where I Can Check Which Mac's Throughout the Years Support Which OSX Features?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HappyDude20, Sep 1, 2013.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I'm in the market to have a back-up Mac. A Mac, whether MacBook or Mini that would only be used sparingly, perhaps to the tune of once every week or two for those tasks that iOS doesn't do well; that and for backing up photos taking from my iOS devices.

I currently have a rMBP 13inch which I'm heavily considering ridding and wouldn't mind downgrading to a original white or black MacBook; or maybe even MacBook Pro's from before. As mentioned, I don't even need a fast Mac; just something that can tackle the things that iOS doesn't do well, for those random times when I need to enter certain sites.

With that said, I'm checking eBay and other sites for low deals but can't help but wonder what features i've been accustomed to using may not be available on older models. Little things like Photo Stream and other OSX features are somewhat valuable to me, though i'm sure I wouldn't mind trimming some of the fat.

I would like to see a list of MacBooks and the features and OS's they support and any guidance is truly appreciated.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Wiki has a pretty good list if you are prepared to look through it....A good source of secondhand Macs is scrumpymacs if you haven't already been there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook

3. printz macrumors regular

There's a little program on the Mac App Store, made by Apple, which lists all Macs and their specifications. I don't know its name offhand because I'm not on OSX now.

4. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Wiki provided some good info on the original MacBooks. The Scrumpy site was a bit confusing for me, seeming like it was focusing on bulk for businesses, but I may be missing the point.

I would love to know the program whenever at your leisure. :D

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Originally Posted by Macman45
    Wiki has a pretty good list if you are prepared to look through it....A good source of secondhand Macs is scrumpymacs if you haven't already been there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook

I only posted the scrumpymacs link as a potential source for a purchase..:)

6. priitv8, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013

priitv8 macrumors 68020

I can't find anything similar on Mac App Store, esp made by Apple. But there sure is one for iOS: Apple Store by Apple

The software features boil down to the max OS X version you will be able to install. I personally would not consider the old models with 32-bit EFI any more, because the OS X roadmap for them has reached it's end (as happened to PowerPC Macs some years ago).

7. chrfr macrumors 603

It's not by Apple but Mactracker has this information, available for OS X and iOS.

8. printz macrumors regular

Yeah, that's it! Dunno why I was under the impression it's by Apple or iTunes.

9. yabai macrumors member

10. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I'm downloading MacTracker as I type and just opened a few more tabs with relevant info but figured i'd ask here which would be the last 32-bit Mac out there?

I agree its essentially whats the max OSX version I can install on the Mac and am having a field dya looking at older Macs. The original Black MacBook can be found for about $200 in good condition, a nice model I always wanted, but have to assume its gone past its heyday.

edit: as mentioned, this MacBook that I would buy would be to replace my current rMBP, sell this rMBP and primarily live off on iOS which means my iPhone 4 (soon to be 5C or 5S) and the iPad Mini Retina (holding off on all iPad purchases until a retina iPad Mini is announced, unless of course the iPad 5 is absolutely amazing and they give the retina iPad Mini crappy specs (which I fear will happen))..

11. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

MacTracker seems to be a goldmine of information but one question remains throughout my research:

I'm searching each model based on what's the maximum software allowed and the top answer would be, "Latest release of OSX." A fine answer but i'm curious if Mavericks would be allowed (nevermind it being slow)...FOUND IT; HERE's the INFO FOR ANYONE ELSE IN SIMILAR SEARCH:

Attached Files: