Where in Aperture is the Exposure Program info?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Phrasikleia, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

I've been searching through the various metadata views in Aperture and am not finding the "EXIF sub IFD" info for "Exposure Program". I know the info is in my files because I can view this information using the EXIF viewer for Firefox. But where the heck is it in Aperture? I want to be able to look up what mode I was using (e.g. Av or Tv) when I shot certain photos, and I want to do this right within Aperture itself.

2. toxic macrumors 68000

metadata tab - "exif" on the bottom. it uses numbers, though. apparently manual is 1, program is 2, and aperture priority is 3.

3. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Hmm. Your Aperture must be a different version (I'm using 2.1.2). I have nothing like that at the bottom of the EXIF tab. If I go to "EXIF Expanded", then somewhere near the middle is "Exposure Mode" with a number following it. Is that it? The photo I'm looking at says "0". Does that mean Tv?

4. toxic macrumors 68000

hm. maybe i changed some setting or other. i've no idea what number Tv is, since i've yet to use it. just do a quick export and look at the exif i guess :confused:

5. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Is this what your looking for??? Any of these 3?

Attached Files:

6. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

I don't speak Canon, but if Tv means aperture priority, then yes. FWIW, LR is kind enough to decode that value in their metadata panel. An exposure mode value of 1 is manual for my camera.

edit: fwiw, in the glossary section of the Aperture user manual, the definition for program exposure categorizes it as an exposure mode.

Attached Files:

7. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Yes, the third one: Exposure Program. But what application did you excerpt that from?

No. Tv is Shutter Priority. So I guess I've found it now. It's called Exposure Mode in Aperture and is halfway down the Extended EXIF list. I'll do some experimenting to decode the values it provides. I thought Apple was supposed to be the company that made things intuitive! Grrrrrr.

8. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Update

OK, so I took four photos, one in each of the creative modes: M, Av, Tv, P. The one taken in manual mode registered as "1" in the EXIF data for "Exposure Mode." The other three all register as "0". :( :confused:

9. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Thats in Aperture. Same version you have.
    If your on the 'metadata' tag just click 'EXIF' at the bottom and you should see it.

10. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

11. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Perfect!! Thank you! OK, so it's NOT called "Exposure Mode" after all. It's properly called "Exposure Program," and here are the values:

1 = Manual

2 = Program

3 = Aperture Priority

4 = Shutter Priority

:):)

Now if I can just remember those cryptic values. :(

12. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Yea kinda dumb they do it by numbers like that! I'd much rather see the words.

13. ajpl macrumors regular

Tv=Time Value, i.e. Shutterspeed. Av=Aperture Value, i.e. F-stop.
    Comes from EV, which stands for Exposure Value.