where is 3 fingers wipe to move forward/back in lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by nbnbxdnb, Jul 23, 2011.

1. nbnbxdnb macrumors regular

Hey, guys. Do you know which gesture in for moving back/forward in lion? It used to be 3 finger wipe in SL. But it was remapped to changing spaces.
    BTW, I know 2 finger wipe is for moving b/f in safari. But what about in finder?

Thanks

2. LoganT macrumors 68020

That's a good question. I assumed Apple was just going to use two fingers now, but when iTunes 10.4 came out, two fingers doesn't work as a way to navigate back and forth between the iTunes store.

3. nbnbxdnb thread starter macrumors regular

Not just iTunes, I think. 3 finger wipe to move f/b use to be universal in finder, safari, iTunes... But I haven't figured out how to do the same in Lion.

4. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

in trackpad preferences, change "swipe between full screen apps" to 4 fingers. then change "swipe between pages" to 3 fingers.

5. LoganT macrumors 68020

It kind of sucks losing the cool animation in Safari.

6. candycorn macrumors newbie

Choose "Swipe with two or three fingers" instead and you get the animations in Safari plus navigation everywhere else.

7. Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

Exactly what I did.

8. fgullama macrumors member

BetterTouchTool - Preserve Three Finger Drag And Keep UI Consistent With Trackpad

I was using this method to work around the loss of normal back and forward commands in Finder, Firefox, etc. with the default settings (which is crazy!). There are still two issues in my opinion:

1. You lose the ability to use Three Finger Drag (which I really like!)
    2. When going back and forth in Finder, Firefox, etc. using a three finger swipe it's the exact opposite of the way Safari behaves when swiping with two fingers using an Apple Trackpad (ie. it does not mimic flipping a page in a book with three fingers... It's reversed). Although I'm loving Lion, it boggles my mind that Apple let this inconsistency slide... I for one have no problem adapting to natural scrolling and the new method of going back and forth in Safari, but at least keep it consistent throughout the UI! I'm sure things will fall in line eventually, but in the meantime...

Here is what I did to preserve three finger drag as well as use two finger swiping instead of three finger swiping in Finder, Firefox, etc. while keeping them consistent with Safari's cool new page flipping feature (which still works and shows the cool animation :)).

Go into your Trackpad settings - Point & Click and enable Three Finger Drag. Then go into More Gestures and make sure Swipe between pages is set to Scroll left or right with two fingers (not two or three fingers - this will disable Three finger drag).

Install BetterTouchTool from: http://blog.boastr.net/
    After starting the software, go ahead and click on the icon in the upper right hand corner of the screen and tell it to Check for regular updates. This will get you up the latest stable version.

Go into BetterTouchTool preferences and add two new gestures:
    Two Finger Swipe Left - Predefined Action: 3F Swipe Right (Page Forward)
    Two Finger Swipe Right - Predefined Action: 3F Swipe Left (Page Forward)

Note: You can reverse these if you want the more traditional back and forward, but I chose to keep it consistent with Safari. Also, BetterTouchTool will complain when you are setting these gestures up that they may not work with Lion correctly. So far however, I have not experienced any issues.

After a lot of trial and error, this was the only way I was able to get everything to work (in my opinion) correctly. I'm sure I'm not the only one this behavior has bothered. Hopefully this helps some folks out!

Frank

9. nbnbxdnb thread starter macrumors regular

I see. Thanks for sharing this. It works fine, except I need to do this in a reversed direction again. But well, I will get used to that.

10. fsu06 macrumors newbie

11. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

You're a life saver :) glad I just decided to search for this. +1

Besides, the 2 finger swipe didn't want to work anyways.... and the 3 finger swipe up/down doesn't take you to the top/bottom of a page either :(

12. MacRumoren macrumors member

Exactly in the same situation with you re: Firefox, thanks so much for the research and amazing solution! :)

13. MacRumoren macrumors member

Exactly, why did they remove this feature from Lion????