Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
This is getting ridiculous, it's not like Apple to announce a product and then leave us hanging for six months. I want an authorized charger that isn't going to burn down my phone or its battery, and Apple is the only one I trust to get it right. What's taking so long? Any idea about launch date?

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Which is exactly why Apple decides it can get away with things like this. When customers offer abject loyalty even when Apple does not keep its word, perform or price its products right - they have zero incentive to do anything but whatever they want to do...

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
It's not about abject loyalty, it's about getting a product that works. I'm not buying a shady product that turns my iPhone into a Samsung Galaxy IED. I'll keep charging using the OEM wall adapter for now, thanks.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
This is getting ridiculous, it's not like Apple to announce a product and then leave us hanging for six months. I want an authorized charger that isn't going to burn down my phone or its battery, and Apple is the only one I trust to get it right. What's taking so long? Any idea about launch date?

There is no information on the AirPower release whatsoever and there is no marketing at all behind it. The only information available about the AirPower is it is to release in 2018 from when it was first announced back in September 2017. At this point, it’s either going to lunch during WWDC 2018 or in the fall along side the new iPhones. My thoughts are now the fall 2018, which would put it at one year later for a release. I’m shocked that Apple hasn’t even marketed this product whatsoever in the slightest to at least keep customers enticed.

Reactions: ZebraDude

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
It's not about abject loyalty, it's about getting a product that works. I'm not buying a shady product that turns my iPhone into a Samsung Galaxy IED. I'll keep charging using the OEM wall adapter for now, thanks.

Which is exactly my point. By refusing to acknowledge that the competition has moved from the Galaxy "IED" days (essentially doing Apple's marketing for them); and refusing to even consider the competition - we leave Apple with no incentive to deliver on time, and meet or beat our expectations. If we want Apple to stay hungry, we've got to stop feeding it as a Pavlovian response. Let them earn a purchase for a change.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Which is exactly my point. By refusing to acknowledge that the competition has moved from the Galaxy "IED" days (essentially doing Apple's marketing for them); and refusing to even consider the competition - we leave Apple with no incentive to deliver on time, and meet or beat our expectations. If we want Apple to stay hungry, we've got to stop feeding it as a Pavlovian response. Let them earn a purchase for a change.

I'll agree with this.

My Belkin BoostUp charger that I bought with my 8 works flawlessly. But I can still justify the AirPower because my wife's SE will be getting replaced later this year with a wireless phone of some sort, so I can pass that on to her because she won't care. Plus I have AirPods on a lightning dock right next to the Belkin, so I just want to consolidate those two items into one (no watch here). But yes, I want Apple to earn my AirPower sale with a great product, especially given the wait.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007

It is abject loyalty because you believe that only Apple can provide what you need.

Reactions: Ta0jin

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
You can get this "Air Power" mat at Sam's Club for $49.00 :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_0782.jpg
    IMG_0782.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0781.jpg
    IMG_0781.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 143
Reactions: danny8200

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015

I'm interested in the airpower as well, but I purchased a mophie wireless charging base & I'm happy with it. I was fine purchasing it due to the fact that apple promoted it in the keynote & they actually sell it in their retail stores. And yes.....that doesn't necessarily mean that it's going to be as good as airpower, but it does take away the "shady product" aspect of it.

Hopefully the airpower will be released before summer. I'm thinking it's going to be released around the time of the new airpod charging cases (One of the main selling points is wireless charging, so it's easier to pitch those to consumers if you have the companion product that can actually provide the wireless charging)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.