Where is all my hard drive space

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by busterbluth, Sep 14, 2014.

1. busterbluth macrumors 6502

My hard drive space steadily decreases each week without adding any significant files.

People suggested it was my back ups, but as shown below, I don't think this is the reason based on the picture attached.

I ran a disk map utility, and in my personal folder which as all my data including documents, iTunes, drop box and all that, it is taking up 109 GB, but only 60 gb is actually accounted for in the utility. Does anyone know where these hidden files might be?

Any help would really be appreciated, I am running out of room. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. vmachiel macrumors 68000

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Run the command below in Terminal and post up the results so we can take a look. That will show all the base folders and space used by each in GB. You will be asked for your password and it takes a couple minutes to run.

Code:
    sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g /

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the storage tab is about, this may help explain: For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply: Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question: Freeing up drive space in Mac OS X