Where is all my iPhone storage space going.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dglenn9000, Mar 17, 2012.

1. dglenn9000 macrumors member

I'm looking for a file manager that acts like iOS 5 usage tab in settings. something that will tell me where my phones drive space is going. All iTunes can tell me is 30% of my iPhone space is being used up by "other". I would like to find out what these other files are and possibly delete them. I'm on iOS 4.3 so any apps that require ios5 won't do.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Other is things like the camera roll contents, MMS messages, Safari web data, iOS system caches, email data, album art, and lots of small files for things like the calendar and address book. There is no easy way of seeing what is using this space without being jailbroken. Even when jailbroken, one has to know what they are doing in order to properly view file sizes.

3. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

Not sure this is what you want, but check out the following...

Settings > General > Usage > Storage ... this will take time to list all your apps and their size (at bottom, touch "show all apps"). You can determine if you need to delete memory hog apps you don't use.

Also check iCloud storage > manage storage ... and see what each of your iDevices is using in storage space in iCloud.

Should give you enough information to make some decisions.

4. dglenn9000 thread starter macrumors member

@arlunde that's kinda my predicament. Because I am on iOS 4.3. I dont have the option to go to settings>usage>storage unless I upgrade to ios5. My phone is jailbroke using gevey, so I don't want to go thru the trouble of upgrading and trying to get it to work on ios5.

For the life of me I can't figure out what it could be. I went into every app and deleted apps that held other items like ibook, dropbox, etc. I can always restore but I want that to be my last option

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

How much space in GB is 30%? If it's in the 1 GB or so range, it's normal, and represents the stuff that intell wrote about above. If it's a large amount (say 3 GB or more), then it's probably songs that didn't get moved over correctly. Usually a reboot fixes that. Or you can try resyncing.

6. dglenn9000, Mar 24, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2012

dglenn9000 thread starter macrumors member

I have uninstalled/removed ALL apps and photos. iTunes still showed I have 7 gigs of other. My phone only has a capacity of 14gb. I downloaded ifunbox file manager for mac.

Under device/user/applications I can see folders with names like "2F223-2E2DG4-4F244". I open up the folders and I can tell they are all apps I had once installed as if they are still on my phone but the icons are not showing up. I can see apps like cut the rope & angry birds.

Can I just delete the folders? or will it cause issues. I just tried to reinstall the app from iTunes and it says it can not install the app because it cannot be found. Not sure what is going on.