Where is all my memory.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Squarecle, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Squarecle macrumors newbie

I wanted to system restore, but don't have the discs with me, so I concluded that I'd just go about and delete things I don't use, so 130,000 files later, I have free'd 126/250GB, and I deleted EVERYTHING I could find MINUS MY MUSIC, which amounts to around 18GB, so if I deleted that, I'd still be deprived of around 106GB.

WHERE IS THIS 106GB?

I cannot find it at all, I did a search for all files over 500MB, and only came back with 6 results, they amounted to 14GB.

Does the "Trash" keep copies of all my deleted files or something?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. Detrius macrumors 68000

4. simsaladimbamba

I know, but since there are better alternatives, OmniDiskSweeper, I just include it for completeness' sakes, but I guess I can add the UB part, if users find that link, and I often have seen, that users need to be spoonfed, as they can't find the information on the site I linked to, especially when it includes scrolling.

5. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

Some general thoughts that go through my mind when I'm clearing out files:

Check for music duplications in iTunes.
    Also check that I've deleted the original downloaded music files as I have iTunes set to copy new files to it's own library when adding.
    Check for large downloads/download temp files.
    If free space still seems suspicious, I then start using utility programs as others have mentioned - these will help you find the culprits.
    To squeeze a little more space out of my HD I have removed all the language packs I don't use. I've also deleted printer drivers I don't use. This saves a fair amount.
    Use a maintenance/cache deleting program like Onyx.

6. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

if you really want to know where all of your hard disk space has gone, then here's what you do...

As a user with administrative access:
    Open a terminal (Applications -> utilities -> terminal).
    cd to /
    run du -hd 1

That will list every directory and the amount of disk space it is taking up.
    One or more of those directories will be big.
    cd into the largest directory.
    run du -hd 1 again.

This will take you to the directory with the most stuff.

7. sammich macrumors 601

sammich