iPad Where is all my storage going?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iPhone7ate9, Dec 26, 2014.

1. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

This doesn't make sense. Every time I reset my iPad and barely put anything on it it fills up so quickly and the numbers don't add up

[​IMG]

2. CandyNJ66 macrumors regular

Get a file manager app from the AppStore, so you can see what's in your folders like people do on Android devices.

Why Apple has no native file manager is a mystery.

3. saltd, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015

saltd macrumors 6502

saltd

You got that right. I guess it's just not a "walled garden" experience if you can actually take a simple inventory of the content on your device :-|

Out of curiosity-is there a particular file manager available on the App Store that serves this purpose (I've never looked)?

4. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

You are likley suffering from a bloated "other" and there is little you can do about it.

5. ZipZap macrumors 601

This bloat "other" crap has been persisting for many IOS releases. I feel like it steels valuable storage and is a bug that should have been corrected by now.

Someone start a class action for me...

6. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Fraid it is not a bug but just how iOS works.

Sounds like you got a 16gb model and needed a 64 or 128gb instead.

Class action suit? LOL!

7. ZipZap macrumors 601

I'm afraid you're wrong. You make assumptions its valid but a simple google search will show that this has been a PIA issue for some time.

The fact that no one can adequately explain what is consuming space in other, and the fact that Apples iTunes cannot explain what in "other" makes it a bug.

The fact that the problem is fixed for a short time by doing a restore supports the notion that its lost space and not being properly managed.

I hope that with the new class action lawsuit against Apple they will finally be forced to account for all of the consumed space that is lost to users.

8. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Your "Other" is around 2.3 GB.

Screen Shot 2014-12-31 at 7.07.58 PM.png

Mine's at 1.35 GB.

When I look at Storage in iOS, it says one thing, but says another in iMazing, Everything's a few megabytes or more off. So that leads me to believe that iOS is accounting for documents within apps and the app itself, but omits the cache, which is what the "Other" is.

9. upnorth85 macrumors 6502

10. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

If I had a dollar for everyone who wants a class action lawsuit against Apple I would be rich. Keep us posted on your progress!:p

11. ZipZap macrumors 601

Well since there already is a class-action lawsuit in play you won't be making a dollar in this case.

12. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Apple has hundreds of suits against them at all times. I would bet on Apple's lawyers over most others.

Again, best of luck!:apple:

13. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Great...you'd rather Apple win this kind of lawsuit? It is pretty misleading when a device is sold with x amount of storage and immediately upon turning it on it has a decent amount less than that.

Plus, as it fills up, you lose even more space and updates become tricky since there's no room for the update to even download.

I hope Apple loses the lawsuit and the 16GB option gets dumped altogether. Should be 32/64/128/256. Should have been like that five years ago.

14. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Not on either side. I am simply pointing out the futility of the class action lawsuit. I agree with 32/64/128/256.

15. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

Has there been similar situations in the past where an operating system takes up "too much" space on a device? I can think of the Microsoft surface pro, advertised as 64GB, that came with 23GB of free space. So Microsoft and other companies are getting away with much more than this, and lawyers pick on Apple?