Where is all my storage??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mattdo93, Aug 3, 2016.

1. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

No way this adds up to 11+ GB.. Any fixes for this besides a new restore? I tried CNet's method if renting movies to clear out space but that's only temporary..

Attached Files:

2. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Yet another real case showing how pultry 16GB phone is.
    Maybe you can actually add up 11GB if you do so. I don't guarantee though.
    For a fix, I cannot find any solution other than deleting apps you don't really need. Periodically purge cache data generated by app is a good way to recover lost storage. In iOS, you need to delete the app, and download from App Store again to clear app cache.

3. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Can you hook it up to iTunes and give us a screenshot of that? That usually tells a lot.

With 16GB you definitely have to act like you're living on $500/mo income. Only download what you NEED and must have.

Set iMessages to delete messages after 30 days or go through and delete all of the pictures in each thread (go to Details --> press and hold a photo (choose more and highlight all photos) --> save them first to the camera roll and back them up via Google Photos then use Google Photos to delete locally stored photos).

Turning OFF iCloud backup, wait a day, then turning it back on has reclaimed space for me.

When was the last time you restarted your phone?

Can't think of much else. I saved up for a 128GB iPhone (took several months more) and it was worth it over a 16.

4. Loco Emperor macrumors regular

I initially got the 16 gb and I quickly discovered that was a mistake. My biggest issue was with the photos and I suggest you make sure live photos are off.

5. stanw macrumors 6502a

6. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

Since your app data isn't taking up that much space, and you don't have any photos or videos on your phone, it must be the apps themselves. How many do you have installed?

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

8. mattdo93, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2016

mattdo93 thread starter macrumors 6502

mattdo93

Everything you listed is exactly what I do :( Yea forsure my next iPhone will be 64GB...

Restarted as in restored as new? Or just a plain restore? I did a plain restore for getting on the iOS 10 public beta but I'm waiting until iOS 10 GM to restore as new.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 4, 2016 ---
    39 apps. But they take up very little storage.. On average, maybe 100 or so MB? Even then that's roughly 4GB.

Also, it seems like iOS 10 beta fixed that little trick of CNet's. I tried renting a movie and it actually rented and saved in the cloud of the Videos app

Attached Files:

9. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Just restarted like holding down the power and home button to force a hard restart (not reset). I've found this can free up a few gigs sometimes on my 128GB iPhone.

Wow, that's a lot of Other in the iTunes photo... I'm at a loss. Sorry :(

10. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

11. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I looked at my contacts and I'm using 10.5MB lol. I must not be as popular as I thought :p

12. mattdo93 thread starter macrumors 6502

mattdo93

I will admit I have a bunch of contacts in there that I don't contact anymore.. Haha. I will restore as new when iOS 10 GM hits but it's still unbelievable how paltry 16GB storage is..

I think the people who sued Apple for advertising the 16GB iPhone as 16GB were right.. I just restored a very old 16GB iPhone 5C to test out iOS 10 beta and with factory settings I start out at 11.95GB...

13. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I agree with this. My last 16GB iPhone was an iPhone 5. Even then I was struggling with keeping free space. I think it's near impossible to do so today for most iPhone users. I am a light user and I'm using 18.9GB right now on my iPhone.