Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WingingIt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2021
When I went to demo my Vision Pro they showed me the immersive demo trailer and I was blown away. There I was, standing in the middle of a baseball game, touching rhinos, all that. I get home and spend some time with that chick on the tightrope, listen to Alicia Keys rehearsing even though it’s not my kind of music, all that… I was like <Jony Ive voice> This. Changes. Everything.

Since then? Nothing, nada, tumbleweeds. In fact, Apple should use their immersive cameras to record a tumbleweed blowing past you and add that to Apple TV+

I can only assume that Apple have decided that the Vision Pro is such a niche product with a small user base that it’s not worth their time to produce immersive content. If that is true and even Apple don’t think the Vision Pro is worth creating content for, what hope do we have that other content creation platforms will bother producing Vision Pro apps and adding content to it? Even if it’s a loss making enterprise for them at the moment, Apple need to get out there and start filming immersive content or it’s going to die out at birth.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
When I went to demo my Vision Pro they showed me the immersive demo trailer and I was blown away. There I was, standing in the middle of a baseball game, touching rhinos, all that. I get home and spend some time with that chick on the tightrope, listen to Alicia Keys rehearsing even though it’s not my kind of music, all that… I was like <Jony Ive voice> This. Changes. Everything.

Since then? Nothing, nada, tumbleweeds. In fact, Apple should use their immersive cameras to record a tumbleweed blowing past you and add that to Apple TV+

I can only assume that Apple have decided that the Vision Pro is such a niche product with a small user base that it’s not worth their time to produce immersive content. If that is true and even Apple don’t think the Vision Pro is worth creating content for, what hope do we have that other content creation platforms will bother producing Vision Pro apps and adding content to it? Even if it’s a loss making enterprise for them at the moment, Apple need to get out there and start filming immersive content or it’s going to die out at birth.
I can't imagine Apple spending this much on R&D only to abandon it after 6 weeks on the market...

However, what you said about content is correct. Apple needs to push and lead the way. And they need to be less restrictive on what people develop... full immersive VR games, access to the passthrough cameras for AR applications, etc. Maybe even allow bluetooth hand controllers like the Oculus or even allow it to connect to a BT mouse (not just the Magic Trackpad) for crying out loud so certain games and apps could be developed like a stand-alone Photoshop/image-editor, iMovie and other productivity apps. The thing has an M2... let developers use it. Keeping it strictly as iPadOS-for-your-face isn't going to cut it.

Apple needs to unclamp the restrictive nature they have with other iOS devices to allow the AVP to flourish. The "spatial computing" metaphor is great, and certainly I can't take my multi-monitor Mac setup with me on the go but can do similar things with the AVP and a BT keyboard, but that's not enough to keep the momentum going.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Probably best to wait in visionOS 2.0 in June. The updates so far have only been bug fixes.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016

It has literally only been out not even two months.
I get it, the pains of being an early adopter.
But it’s going to take a lot longer than six weeks to get tons of content out there.

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
WWDC.

Apple will likely showcase content from Disney amongst others while talking about how they worked closely with company X or Y for this or that industry.

WingingIt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2021
But guys, there are like 4 episodes total, each about 10 minutes long. Since the Vision Pro has been out, Apple have released loads of new 2D series. I’m not saying there should be hundreds of immersive things to watch, but I’d hoped at least a few more episodes would have dropped by now.

WingingIt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2021
It's called a concept. There will be more immersive content coming. It takes time. IMAX wasn't everywhere when it first came out.
I guess. I just feel like a multi-billion dollar corporation could have found a couple of people hanging around the office looking bored to go follow another tightrope walker or whoever with their fancy new spacial camera for another 10 minutes by now………

WhatTheCJ

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2015
Malibu, CA
I guess. I just feel like a multi-billion dollar corporation could have found a couple of people hanging around the office looking bored to go follow another tightrope walker or whoever with their fancy new spacial camera for another 10 minutes by now………
There is immersive content in the pipeline at Apple TV+

First, there are additional episodes from the Adventure, Prehistoric Planet Immersive, and Wild Life **ready** to be released, but are pending due to various factors

Second, there is a mixture of movies, shows, and entirely *new format concepts* being produced right now that Apple is competing for, against Meta, from a few production companies, in addition to Apple's own in-house studio.

Source: unfortunately it's a "trust me bro" situation, but I live in Los Angeles with friends at various studios and offices who have confirmed this to me, and shown me internal docs related to this.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
There is immersive content in the pipeline at Apple TV+

First, there are additional episodes from the Adventure, Prehistoric Planet Immersive, and Wild Life **ready** to be released, but are pending due to various factors

Second, there is a mixture of movies, shows, and entirely *new format concepts* being produced right now that Apple is competing for, against Meta, from a few production companies, in addition to Apple's own in-house studio.

Source: unfortunately it's a "trust me bro" situation, but I live in Los Angeles with friends at various studios and offices who have confirmed this to me, and shown me internal docs related to this.
Good to hear about the immersive series on Apple TV+, which are probably what sold me on the AVP. Still, I've having a blast with it just watching other content like YouTube videos and panoramic shots taken with my iPhone over the years. I'm also finding I like reading articles on (in?) the AVP more than I do on a monitor.

Reactions: WhatTheCJ

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
They announced the replays of MLS playoffs from last year which will hopefully come soon. Mostly interested in this to see what is possible sports wise. Hoping they do some immersive content for Friday night baseball this season as well.

Reactions: WhatTheCJ

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
There is a lot of immersive content not by Apple. Concerts, videos, panorama, sky guides, meditation apps.

surferfb

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
Washington DC
I agree - I expected new content weekly - not huge amounts, but like one or two similar to the existing immersive content a week.I am shocked we're coming up on two months since release without ANY new Apple-produced content. Just imagined if they had launched Apple TV+ like this - pilots for four shows and then nothing for months? They would have been laughed out of the room!

To be clear, I know Apple never promised/said/hinted at weekly content, but it is just what I assumed.

borka105

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2011
3 pilot episodes and nothing else for 2 months is unacceptable for a $3500+ device. They should’ve had a backlog of content that gets released weekly to keep people engaged.

How can you advertise “immersive video” and only offer pilot episodes… where are the immersive videos???!

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
1. Travel to Zimbabwe, Machu Picchu, Foz do Iguaçu without leaving your chair using the share spatial app. It gives you 90% of the visual experience for those who can't actually go there.

2. Use a 6 foot monitor from your mac

3. Play lossless music from your AirPods Pro 2 with the album cover inches from your face. Much more enjoyable. Qobuz.

4. Run a "Mindfullness" or other mediation app to help relax and sleep. Take a snooze by a running creek in an Oregon winter scene. See the results of the mediation if you have an Apple Watch with Helium.

5. Watch a 3D concert where the singer swings her hair in your face with AmazeVR concerts, although it is a bit creepy.

6. Explore the constellations. Grab one out of the night sky to know more about it with SkyGuide

7. Checkout which flights are landing at an airport in 3D with their plane type, where they came from, etc. with testflight

8. Explore extinct creatures with David Attenborough. Watch them in 3D in their native environment in Museum Live.

9. Convert your old photos into 3D ones with Spacial Media Toolkit. Just a start but shows what can be done.

10. Explore the Mars lander in 3D. Grab a part and see what it does with Exploring Mars.

11. Travel to a museum for a close look at the Mona Lisa with Art Authority museum. Explore contemporary artists with Art Universe.

12. Not a gamer but occasionally play Legos in 3D or place parts on a music store with A Cozy Loona.

13. Movies, some in 3D, with Apple TV and Disney Plus. Much better than going to the theater. No fuzzy screen, better sound.

And this is just the start. More great stuff is coming.

Do you have some suggestions?

as above.

notai

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2023
as above.
"3. Play lossless music from your AirPods Pro 2 ...." Is the audio noticeably better via the AirPods ?
I have the AirPods Max but they are not supported, and would be too many things on ones head all at once ; )

It would be great if they add option to have the audio be streamed to a decent set of speakers. The only way I have found is to screencast onto your TV what you are seeing in the VP, which is not what I want and is clunky in how it's done via control center.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Just imagined if they had launched Apple TV+ like this - pilots for four shows and then nothing for months? They would have been laughed out of the room!
Except that’s exactly how Apple TV+ launched.
Day one had about half a dozen TV shows each with only a couple episodes, and a couple movies.
It took months for them to start building out the library.

WingingIt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2021
New immersive sports film coming this evening…
Excellent! Clearly Tim Cook read my thread and said “guys, you really need to release something now!” and here we are. It’s nice to know how influential I am in the world… you’re all welcome 😉

Not that I follow the MLS. If Apple ever get rights to the English Premier League and start showing full matches with spatial cameras though my life will be complete!

Reactions: ysvsr1

WingingIt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2021
Excellent! Clearly Tim Cook read my thread and said “guys, you really need to release something now!” and here we are. It’s nice to know how influential I am in the world… you’re all welcome 😉

Not that I follow the MLS. If Apple ever get rights to the English Premier League and start showing full matches with spatial cameras though my life will be complete!
Ok, it was 5 minutes long 😑

geauxmac

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2011
Impressive but way too short. I also don’t care for soccer all that much. Is it possible to broadcast live games? Live NFL games would be incredible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.