Where is camera roll showing all pics in iOS 8?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by creativedogmedia, Sep 9, 2014.

1. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

I see a recently added folder and I can see all pictures sorted by dates but apple didnt really move the lump folder view of all pictures out of iOS 8, did they? Seems like it should at least be an option to turn on or off. Am I missing a setting?

2. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

Oh good I'm not the only one wondering where all my photos went.

3. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

No way this is how it's supposed to be.

4. afsnyder macrumors 65816

They dumped camera roll since it was redundant to the Photos tab that also had all photos organized by date but also by location too. I never used Camera roll once iOS 7 came out but I know a lot of people continued to use it.

5. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

This doesn't seem right. The photos tab on the left lumps the photos I've taken in my camera roll with all the photos I've synced over from iTunes from the Mac.

I can't tell if a photo is local on my device of synced from the Mac! This is a bit dangerous and can lead to data loss. I think Apple ****ed up here.

6. piller97 macrumors newbie

Defiantly agree with you about apple ****ing up.
    I hadn't looked at it from a data loss point of view, only an ease of use point of view, it just seems like more work.

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

How do you tell what is local...
    Vs what is in photostream?

8. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Synced from your mac should show up in Cameral roll still though... thats what I thought.

And still, why would it matter where the photo came from?

9. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

Except that that photos tab contains more than the camera roll did. The camera roll only had photos from the built-in camera, which is typically exactly what I'm looking for.

----------

No, they don't. The camera roll only had photos from the iPhone camera, and nothing else.

Why would it matter? Why do you care? OP and I like to have a place where we can only get the iPhone camera's photos instead of a bunch of other photos as well. That was available since iPhoneOS 1.0.

10. Jigga macrumors 6502

I came here for this exact reason.
    Where are my pictures?

11. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I'm also noticing a lot of irritating lag and jerkiness when scrolling through photos. It's most noticeable right after you take a photo. It also takes some time for the photo to appear in the Photos view, as if the phone were reindexing everything.

I think QC at Apple has gone downhill some.

12. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

It took a few minutes from all the photos to sync back onto the phone.

On the bright side, AirDrop finally works for me now.

13. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

It's important to know WHERE your data is. If you don't know where your data is it's that much easier to lose it.

A photo on the iPhone can be in any of these places:

1) In the local Camera Roll, possibly not backed up yet. (no longer directly accessible),
    2) In Photostream, which is a TEMPORARY location and will eventually be deleted,
    3) In an iCloud shared album,
    4) or synced over from iTunes on your Mac.

#1: Will be backed up next time the phone is backed up.
    #2: Will eventually VANISH. You can't count on the photo sticking around.
    #3: Won't be automatically deleted, but still not on storage you control.
    #4: Safe, since they come from Aperture and are securely backed up.

Can you see why it's a problem not to know where a photo is? There should at least be a "Camera Roll" and "My Photostream" albums, like before. I'm becoming convinced whoever is spearheading iOS development at Apple has lost their mind.

14. taran420 macrumors 6502a

15. dqb macrumors newbie

This has to be an error on Apples part, or something.

If you go into (for example) the wallpaper settings and hit "choose new wallpaper", you just get recently added pictures to choose and not all of your pictures.

Same thing in other apps that access your photos, such as the Walgreens app. You only get the recently added photos and not all of your photos. I guess you could make an album with the photos you want to use in the Walgreens app and access them that way, but that's an annoying work-around for something that worked fine on iOS 7.

16. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Camera integration seems pretty broken too.

If I take a pic and tap the new thumbnail on the lower left corner, I am not shown the photo I just took. I'm shown the most recent photo I took before updating to iOS 8.

And above that photo is a back button on the upper left which says "All Photos". But tapping that doesn't take me to all photos. It takes me to the collection of photos from August.

I can't find the photo I just took anywhere on the phone.

17. taran420 macrumors 6502a

but how the hell do i get all my pics back? mac shows i have about 4000 pics, i synced with iphont but the photos app does not show them :/

18. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

ios 8 is fine, it only has ONE, problem.

this. this complete ****, photos are a mess, a train wreck, is not simple, they fixed (ruined) something that wasnt broken

19. titans1127 macrumors 6502a

So glad it wasn't just me. All my pics from the camera roll are there just have to tap on the photos tab to see them all. Not a big fan as I like knowing whats from my camera roll and what I sync'd from my Mac.

20. taran420 macrumors 6502a

Omg I finally see it. I hate this view to see all
    My pics #

21. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Download the PhotoSync app on computer and phone and send them back that way.