where is 'file directory'?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by happle, Feb 7, 2012.

1. happle macrumors 6502a

so i downloaded a 3gb .rar folder of samples for music production and i accidentally forgot to have them extract to the desktop and they extracted to file directory. I'm wondering where this folder is because i would like to move the samples to my optibay drive.

2. tarponbeach macrumors member

3. tyrell456 macrumors member

"File Directory" isn't the name of a default folder in OS X. The heirarchy of files and folders IS the "File Directory."

It's likely that you either misread where it was extracted to, or that you (or an application you've used) has created a folder with such a name.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Check your Downloads folder (should be on your Dock, or in /Users/yourusername/Downloads). Also, you can use Finder to search for files with a .rar extension and a file size greater than 2GB.
    ScreenCap 14.PNG

Helpful Information for Any Mac User

5. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

its not my downloads folder but the rar extractor says extract to: file directory and you can switch it to desktop and some other folders...

and i did try a search and i can only fine the original rar folder thats on my desktop but i can't find where it extracted to...

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That just means you can extract the file anywhere you select, whether it be your Desktop or any other location on any drive you have attached. The first order of business is to locate the .rar file before you can extract the files in it, which my last post will show you how to do.

7. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

the .rar folder is right on my desktop but when i extract it does not extract to my desktop...im not sure where its going.

8. simsaladimbamba

And what exact application do you use to extract .rar files? The Unarchiver or Unrar Xor something else?

9. Mac-Michael macrumors regular

I'd say 'file directory' refers to the directory the file is in.

10. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

11. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

That's exactly what it means.

12. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

well where the **** is it lol

13. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

It should be in the same directory as the file when you uncompressed it. If it's not, I have no idea. Try uncompressing it again and setting a specific destination...