Where is Finder in Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by poppe, Jun 14, 2007.

1. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Did they get rid of Finder on the desktop? If you look at the videos it only has finder in the Dock.

Why do you all think that is?

(Sorry if this has already been discussed or talked about - I searched and didn't find it)

Attached Files:

2. 66217 Guest

Finder has never been on the desktop. At least not in Tiger.

3. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

If you are talking about the lack of a Hard Disk icon on the Desktop, that's optional in Tiger as well (it's under Finder > Preferences...Show these items on the Desktop).

4. afornander macrumors 6502

the main hard drive root folder is on the desktop but not finder itself. in 10.5, it looks like by default the hard drive is not on the desktop. im not sure how they will get away with this as the desktop has always been the "main dumping ground" for files, folders, and external storage.im sure that the option to throw stuff there is still available, but for un-computer savvy people (ur grandparents) this could be a problem.:cool:

5. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I think the keynote mentions a default downloads Stack in the dock, and if you look at some of the screenshots of the Leopard Finder, the sidebar has a Downloads folder.

Still not sure how they are going to manage externals. There are a couple of ways (Go > Computer or the sidebar) but for me it's still comforting to see them on the Desktop. Of course, it could very well be just a Finder preference thing, only in 10.5 the default preference is different.

6. 66217 Guest

Appearing in the desktop is just more practical. Specially when adding files to an external, having it in the desktop makes things easier.

7. Maedus macrumors regular

They could have harddrives, external drives, etc. turned off in demonstrations videos and pictures so that the emphasis is on the features being presented. It does create a more visually appealing display to see documents unstacking from the dock without the harddrive icon in the background.
    Try and imagine if they made the screen look 'realistic' and there were over 100 items on the desktop. :p

8. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I agree completely, but my name's not Steve Jobs...so my opinion doesn't count. :D

9. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Oh well I'll be damned... That is very interesting.

Perhaps Apple will have a set downloading/installing/uninstalling thing to finder... man that'd be nice or at least the uninstaller. Though I have a free app call uApp or something like that that works really well.

10. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman