Where is Flash support?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michaelsaxon, Sep 9, 2007.

1. michaelsaxon macrumors 6502

I keep running into sites that use Flash. Is there any new word on Flash support for the iPhone? I've not been paying attention, though I do recall that Mossberg fellow saying that it was on its way.

2. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

it's something apple can surely do easily. the big reason why it isn't there (i think) is that it's a big drain on battery. maybe they'll implement it when battery tech on the iphone improves a bit (more conjecture).

4. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

I couldn't see it being too big of a drain if it ran selectively, and at variable frame rates according to a setting chosen by the user.

5. chrltn macrumors newbie

still waiting

why wasn't flash support on the iphone to begin with?

battery life schmattery life

6. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I can't see flash coming to the iPhone soon. But I've been wrong before.

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

If Apple didn't put something on the phone, they just blame it on battery life and all the locals eat it up. Gee, why not leave out the screen, WiFi, BT, speakers, etc, too? And darn that power hungry EDGE :)

My Windows Mobile phones have Flash. Nokia web tablets have Flash. Heck, Verizon includes FlashLite on many of their phones.

Would Flash use more cpu power? Sure. Watching videos uses up power too.

Power is a lousy excuse. They could've just said that it'd be pretty slow and useless at times. Handhelds don't have really fast enough CPUs, even today.

It's very likely that Apple (and its buddy Google) don't want to continue support for Adobe's player... but plan on coming up with their own. It'll be interesting to see if they bow to consumer pressure again.