Where is FM radio in my 3rd gen. 32gb Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by maggiesbuddy, Sep 24, 2009.

1. maggiesbuddy macrumors newbie

I'm new to this and am strggling through purchasing and downloading lots of stuff, but don't know all the features of my new Touch. How do you access the FM live streaming radio that is supposed to be there? thanks, Penny

2. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

There isn't an FM radio on the Touch.

You can listen to Radio via the internet. I think some stations have apps, and there are other ways.... but i don't use any of it, so that is the end of my ability to "help".

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

The iPod touch doesn't have the FM radio tuner, only the new iPod nano.

You can download/install various apps that allow you to listen to SOME radio stations, but you need to always be connected to a wi fi network to use them (you can't use it while you're out anywhere, basically).

4. Viremia macrumors regular

You return the Touch and get a Nano. The Nano has an FM radio, the Touch does not.

Or else, you could get one of the many internet-based radio apps.

5. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

There was talk of the wireless module containing an as yet unused FM receiver, so there's a small chance that Apple could release a radio app.

6. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

For some extremely odd reason they decided to put it in the new Nano, and not the new Touch... :eek:

My reason... business strategy! The camera debate goes along with this - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=786519

I think Apple was "hurting" to get the Nano sales in the right direction. Especially, since they released FM radio - which they were notorious in refusing this option over the years!

They were desperate, and they needed to spark Nano sales... Call me nuts, but that is my conclusion, and I am sticking to it! :p

7. PumaNO macrumors newbie

They say it got the potential to recieve and send radio signals (FM) if only apple activated the hardware through a software/firmware update :)
    So the hardware is there! At least from what ive heard.

8. silentnite macrumors 6502a

silentnite

No not yet, you've got the wrong model. You need the Ipod Nano or a Microsoft Zune HD. However the Apps. store has some really cool internet radios. Aol radio, Pandora, Last Fm etc. Last time I looked they were free. :cool:

9. MegaDell macrumors member

Pretty much. The nano is pretty old and outdated. It doesn't have much capacity, even given its small size. And it doesn't have a fraction of the functionality the touch has. So they throw in a buncha features they know people expect in the touch, which is the flagship model.

They are dragging their feet.