where is Gimp?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by joenj07087, Mar 8, 2011.

1. joenj07087 macrumors member

I downloaded and installed Gimp Photo editing program, but I can't find it now in my Mac, it does not appear on my Apps folder...it was installed correctly cos I was able to use it as soon as it was installed..but then I closed it and went back to apps folder to open..and it is not there/.??? where is it/? anybody?

2. ender land macrumors 6502a

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Where did you download it from? There may be different packages out there, with different default installation locations. I personally use the official distribution, which does indeed place it in /Applications.

jW

4. joenj07087 thread starter macrumors member

Hi, yes I did a search in finder, and it finds the download file and install package but not the app....I'm totally lost here...maybe I should log out and log back in to my Imac again?...I have no idea what is going on with this...wow MAc software what a trip...lol..(former PC guy here)...

5. Edot macrumors 6502

Often installers are simply a disk image ".dmg" that require you to copy the application to the Applications folder. You may have thought that the mounted dmg (which opens in a new finder window) was the installed application. You were probably running the application from the disk image. You first need to copy "install" the application to your Applications folder and run it from there. I'm not sure if this is your problem in this case (not on a mac right now to test the GIMP installer), but I imagine this is what happened.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well technically this is not "MAc" software but a UNIX app using X11 to execute within OSX. You would probably be better suited to getting pixelmator if you're interested in photo editing. That's a real OSX app :)

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I'd second the Pixelmator suggestion. I switched to it a while back, and it works far better overall than GIMP. Only disadvantage is it's not free, but since it just dropped to $29, it's a steal.

jW

8. waynep macrumors 6502

I have Gimp and it installed an icon into the Applications folder. I am also considering moving to Pixelmator.

9. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

If you are just looking for a simple photo editor to have some fun, Seashore may be a suitable alternative.

It is native app that does not require X11 that is based on GIMP. It does not have the complete feature set of GIMP but good for basic use.

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I personally have tried the following programs, and found them wholly unsuitable for my needs:
    • Seashore (color bug, unstable)
    • MSPaint for WinXP via Wine (flip bug)
    • Paintbrush (color bug)
    • GIMP (horribly unstable, crashes so often it can't be used)

I've settled on GraphicConverter by Lemke Software for now, but I'm tempted to look at Pixelmator too.