Where is Google+ App?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Dwalls90, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

It's been under review for quite some time ... will this be like GV all over again where it took forever to get passed? Is Apple not passing it to be spiteful?

2. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

It's not being released until Google+ is out of beta stages (as far as I remember)

3. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

It's been submitted for approval just waiting on Apple now.

4. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Google+ is still in beta stage, not sure they would release official app until it comes out of beta. I could be wrong though...

5. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Google can take years to bring a product out of beta.

7. SirithX macrumors 6502

SirithX

It's been pending approval for over a week, it's certainly not in Apple's list of expedited apps. I've been waiting for it too.

8. singlestick macrumors regular

The app doesn't exist yet. GPlus is still in beta, so you can't blame anyone from withholding anything.

9. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

If it does make it into the App store, does that mean everyone will be able to join? I mean, why make an app for a project still in beta?

10. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

The web app is already available for iPhone and is very much the same as the Android app.

I have had it on my iPhone for days.

11. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Been waiting for the G+ app since I read it was submitted. How long does it normally take Apple to clear an app for approval?

12. PhxBlue macrumors regular

PhxBlue

The actual app and the web app are not the same. One of the Google employees said that the app had already been submitted to Apple when they rolled out the program. Its been in review more than a week, Apple is doing their whole stonewalling embargo crap... Drives me crazy!

13. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

When is a Google product not in beta :p

14. tigress666 macrumors 68040

If Google+ takes off as well or even close to as well as Facebook did, that is going to bite them in the butt to be laggy about supporting the app and make Android look a lot more appealing to people.

Apple isn't going to compete by making their own social network, they really don't have the background to be successful in that and so far their one attempt was really lame (and didn't seem like they were trying to compete, just trying to get in a niche market). Not to mention Apple doesn't like supporting other platforms and no one is going to want a social network that only works on apple stuff (sorry Apple).

And the only way to not have G+ end up taking away sales (besides making their own successful social network) if it is popular (since it will obviously be well supported in Android), especially if they drag their feet constantly about supporting it, is to just accept it and support it as well as they can.

Anyways, if anyone can't tell, I'm annoyed cause I want the app (I've been waiting for a frikkin Facebook replacement cause I have a love/hate relationship with Facebook and have been wanting for a while for some one to come up with a good alternative. I'm so hoping G+ is it. Enough of my friends are on it that if most actually started using it I could probably wean myself easily away from FB. As is, even with a few I'm already leaning towards it).

15. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i wonder when these social networkds will die off, and why is google 8 years late to the party?

16. err404 macrumors 68020

The App Store is simply not structured to support Beta products.
    G+ is a true Beta right now. It is still going through significant changes that require updates to the client (video codecs etc). Google releasing an iOS app is a hindrance at to the rapid dev cycle since Apple's authorization process is not very agile.
    I would like to see Google work out these issues and stabilize G+ before having an iOS Beta slowing down the overall development.

17. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I am not sure if they ever will die off. They may switch hands every now and then(such as myspace to facebook), but I don't think they'll ever go away.

And Google isn't exactly late. They've tried before. This is just their current hand at a social network.

18. nutmac macrumors 68040

Well, Apple allowed Hulu app when it was I beta, so I don't see that being a blocker per say (and nothing on the guideline forbids private beta).

19. err404 macrumors 68020

I not suggesting that Apple won't allow a Beta G+, rather that it may not be in Google's best interest to do so. The App Store is not an agile delivery platform capable of supporting ad-hoc update requirements.

Despite being 'Beta', Hulu is a stable platform that does not require frequent app updates. Google, on the other hand, only just launched G+ and is likely to require more frequent app changes.

I fear that releasing an iOS client at this point would result in slower feature updates and enhancements because of the need to maintain compatibility with a client that may be weeks or even months old.

20. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Pretty sure Orkut did launch before Facebook so yeah don't really think Google is late.

21. singlestick macrumors regular

Yeah, I think Orkut predates FaceBook. And I heard on some tech podcast that google intends to keep Orkut around after google plus officially launches.

22. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Also.....

There is a App for Android and it has been reported that the app has been turned into Apple for approval. Where did you get the info that the app didn't exist yet?

23. tigress666 macrumors 68040

By the way, the app is out now.

It is mostly decent, least it is more stabile than the mobile site.

But if you like to read by your circles (like I have a circle of people I am following and want to read), you will be very annoyed but it as it is a very clunky interface. They didn't even take the most obvious interface for circles.

So, you have to hit circles on the main screen. Which gets you to a list of people on your circles. So you have to tell it, no I want to view my circles. Which finally gets you a list of your circles. Then when you hit the one you want to read, you have to then tell it, no, I want to read the posts, not see the people in it. And if you want to change circles you go back to the list of circles (least it doesn't put you back on the list of people) and start all over again.

I think a more obvious solution they could have done was when you hit circles on the main screen it gets you a list of your circles (I would think that was the, "Duh, that's what you'd expect if you hit the circles button"). Then at the bottom it could have a all your circles as one of your options (if you want to view all your circles). Then if you hit a circle it gets you the posts of that circle with a button on top to edit that will put you into a screen of list of people in the circle with options to add people on top, swipe to delete some one, and on the bottom a button to delete the entire circle (and maybe rename it).

To me how they did it is very counterintuitive and also very clunky if you want to read by circles.

Honestly, if this is the way they treat their interface for Android... yeah, I don't think I'd want Android if that is how they do their interfaces. They went about it in a very clunky way that isn't that intuitive and it doesn't even really offer any better customization.

24. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car