Where is iLife on MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whistler222, Dec 17, 2012.

1. whistler222 macrumors 6502

Bought the non-retina MBP from someone.. it's the current model, so no install disc of any kinda.

Downloaded/reinstalled OS last night, but realized iLife apps are on there.
    Do i lose it then? or how do i get that installed?

Thanks!

2. bogatyr macrumors 65816

They show up in the App Store under purchased apps. However, in my experience they don't show up for new App Store accounts on resold laptops. Sometimes you can get Apple to add it to your account if you go to the store and ask for support - just be honest that it is second hand.

3. richnyc macrumors regular

richnyc

Did you try "App Store" app? You should be able to download it for free... You just have to look for individual apps: iPhoto, iMovie and GarageBand. I don't think iLife as a suite is listed there.

4. skysoul macrumors newbie

have to buy the licence again. Had this issues before. Even Mountain Lion licence will show up the price if you go App Store.

5. jvpython macrumors 6502

If you registered them properly when you got your Mac you shouldn't have to rebuy them

6. skysoul macrumors newbie

When u buy from another seller...the set is registered with the first owner when he first set up the mac, he is required to enter the apple ID and so forth to set up the ML and ilife. ANd once that is done all the software licence is lock to that APple ID.

Apple make this so from Lion to make another revenue from the second hand sales. Thats one way to force the new owner to buy the licence again on the ML and ilife. and its not transferrable. Unless that seller is willing to give you the apple ID account.

For example when u got the mac from the seller, he probably had done the recovery and download the ML and ilife for the new buyer. But he probably would have deleted the apple id from app store when u got the mac. However, when theres a new update on the ilife u cant update it from app store becos u need the apple id. SO either u hav to buy the licence to update when theres new updates or stay that way..no new updates.

Another solution is download from XXX and get it free..... lolz....