Where is iOS 6 in Mountain Lion?

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    So for those have you that haven't noticed, Apple announced Mountain Lion today drawing even MORE from iOS, specifically additions from iOS 5. Like iMessage, reminders, notification center, etc.

So Mountain Lion will be up to par with iOS 5, but when it should be released at approx the same time as iOS 6. Surely, Apple doesn't want to start the tradition of adding things to iOS only to then add them to OS X a year later. There must be some parallel development in play. So I was hoping there would be some large cues to iOS 6 here, but no. The only major feature not already in iOS is gatekeeper, which basically allows the user to decide which apps they are able to DL (MAS or non-MAS). Could that possibly be coming to iOS???

So do you think Mountain Lion will just be a year behind, or do you think when iOS 6 is previewed Apple will show us those additions to mountain lion also?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Since you can only get apps from the App Store on non-jailbroken iPhones, I'd say "Gatekeeper" is already implemented on the iPhone.

3. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

apple always keeps some things underwraps until the official launch. If they plan to launch Mountain Lion at WWDC then thats when we'll see the rest of the OS

4. Dorje Sylas macrumors 6502

Why do you think there will be a major update to iOS6 this Summer or even Fall. iOS 5.1 still hasn't hit GM and by winter at least we should see an iPhone 5 (not iPhone 6). There is currently no reason or incentive to push a major iOS revision that soon.

Making Mountain Lion (which I wonder what OS designation it will get, likely not 10.8) congruent with iOS 5 (5.1) features makes the most senes and will likely start getting similar cross-development as both move forward.

As to GateKeeper... no, I don't see Apple opening up the "GateKeeper" options on iOS. You will not see options to download Apps outside the iOS AppStore. The use of GateKeeper in Moutain Lion is a good opening compromise to test the waters of App restriction on Macs. They will likely be getting a decent amount of dignonsitc data on how people are using it and seeing if they can fully lock it down without making people mad enough to walk away to Windows 8 (likely 9 at that point).

5. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

This is incorrect, incredibly incorrect.

6. sulliweb macrumors regular

sulliweb

That depends on Apple's desgin and intention behind GateKeeper... There have been those that feared the Mac going to an App Store only model since the first mention of it. They said it was inevitable. At some point, Apple would start to offer a "feature" that would be turned off by default that would allow only apps purchased through the app store to be installed. Then, in a year or so, they would turn the feature on by default. Then, there wouldn't be a choice. Everything would go through the App Store, no options.

This certainly seems like the first step in that progression, and if that is the plan... The above post wouldn't be completely wrong. That would be Apple's final intention with this new "feature".

It's just interesting to see something someone predicted a year ago actually happening. :cool:

7. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Are you being serious right now? If you haven't noticed iOS is on a yearly upgrade cycle. Apple basically confirmed that and asserted that OS X will be joining iOS with releasing yearly updates. Sure last year it got pushed back a few months, but I would expect iOS6 to get back to the yearly cycle, at a minimum with the possibility of it arriving early to get back on the summer cycle.

iOS 5.1 will be released in March alongside the iPad 3, that is almost certain.

Mountain Lion WILL be 10.8 and will probably be released in August, right around when I would expect iOS 6.

8. kolax macrumors G3

I think the real juiciness of Mountain Lion is yet to be announced. It's unlike Apple to not give a keynote to announce something like this.

9. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Possibly... But here's John Gruber's take on the whole thing

Link

10. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

If Apple decides to do a 10.9, then yes Mountain Lion will be a year behind. Heck, it already is. The features on Mountain Lion should have already been in Lion..
    10.9 would then be based on iOS 6.
    I believe Apple will make a major revision with 11.0, heavily based on Siri, and that will unify the iOS and OS X features.

11. APlotdevice, Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I personally think Apple could benefit from implementing Gatekeeper on iOS. Jailbreaking gives us all these wonderful modifications and apps which would not work under Apple's app store restrictions, however there is a dark side to it as well: piracy. While I'm sure the folks who develop jailbreaking tools generally don't do so intending to support piracy, it's pretty much unavoidable. Now if Apple "approved" third party sources who behaved themselves, there would be far less legitimate demand for jailbreaking in the first place. Which would make things harder for pirates. It'd also eliminate one of the perceived advantages of rival products. At the same time Apple could still offer plenty of incentives to develop for the app store.

12. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

I just want to be clear....The iPhone 5 is already out. I have one in fact. It added Siri, a better camera, and a better processor. Guess you missed it.

13. DJinTX macrumors 6502

Along these lines, I hope Apple finally gets the iPhone naming scheme debacle fixed. It's annoying that there seems to be a 50/50 split between users who are dead certain it will be called iPhone 5, and those that think it would be ridiculous to name a 6th generation phone the iPhone 5. The most frustrating thing about it is that Apple has left the door open for this silly debate.

@Tim Cook and Apple---please simplify this, there are plenty of other topics to fuel debates and flame wars without this one. Let's at least put this one to rest once and for all.

14. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

I hope they call it the iPhone LTE. Simple, get rid of numbers.

15. kolax macrumors G3

LTE isn't really a household term like 3G. They definitely won't call it that. It'll be called the iPhone 5.

16. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Yeah I think they will probably not use a number for the 6th gen iPhone. Then they may come back eventually and call it iPhone 7 or iPhone 8 for their respective gens, but I think Apple will only use the number if there is no major defining feature.

Back on topic, and think we might have already seen some of the smaller features for iOS 6 in Lion. Things like unified safari bar for search, a search bar at the top of launchpad. Stuff like that.

17. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

It's in EVERY Verizon and AT&T advertisement. If it's not household by now, it will be by the time the next iPhone comes out.

I agree. I do wonder if they'll bring some ui changes along, such as some form of Mission Control.

18. kolax macrumors G3

Excuse me for not being able to see Verizon or AT&T adverts because I don't live in the US, like the rest of the world.

19. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

you mean how like the 2nd generation iphone is called iphone 3g

20. bristleworm macrumors 6502

bristleworm

To get this thread back to it's actual topic, here's one thing I think will very likely be part of iOS 6.

On Mountain Lion, Notes allow for rich text editing and even pictures. As notes are synced using iCloud, I'm sure this will also become a feature on iOS 6.

21. Davewithak macrumors regular

The only iPhone to be numbered correctly (unless you count the 1st one as iPhone 1) is the iPhone 4. It was the fourth model. No one knows what the new iPhone is going to be called. I highly doubt they'll call it iPhone 5, considering it's the 6th generation. But on the other hand, I can't really see it being called the iPhone 6, either.

22. bristleworm macrumors 6502

bristleworm

On that note: why not stop the numbering at all? There is no iPod 1, 2, 3, not iMac 1, no MacBook 1, etc.
    The only things that are numbered right now are the iPhone and iPad. And they shouldn't have to. At some point, the numbering becomes pretty useless. Imagine an iPad 14, or an iPhone 11 in a few years… :D

23. Drunken Master macrumors 65816

Drunken Master

facepalm.jpg

Seriously you nerds, no casual user on earth realizes it will be the sixth generation iPhone. It will be called iPhone 5 if they continue with the number suffixes.

If they release an iPhone 6, everybody and their mother will ask, "Where was the 5?"

I have a sneaking suspicion they're not going to log onto MacRumors to have someone explain to them that the 4S was actually the fifth generation and that actually the iPhone 4 was the only one that was named "correctly" (according to them and their insular, crackpot view of the world).

Quit mainlining Doritos and Mountain Dew and get outside or something.

24. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

It makes sense to deliver some tech on OS X and then bring it to iOS and vice versa.

This allows Apple to write new API and update them knowing that the features will be across both platforms within a year in most cases.

I suspect the big thing in iOS 6 will be the eradication of Google Maps. Apple will likely roll their own Mapping back end based on the Placebase/ Poly9/C3 acquisitions.

iOS 6 will probably be the first OS that has a Siri SDK along with the new Map SDK and finally I'd suspect we see a fantastic Turn by Turn GPS software from Apple that is Siri enabled.

These two features alone (Opening Siri and Mapping/GPS) would sell the next iPhone like gangbusters.

25. bristleworm macrumors 6502

bristleworm

That thought just made me think I should wait with buying a new phone… I currently have the 3GS with iOS 5 and I really want a newer, and speedier phone. And I really do like the white 4S. But if things like that were to be iPhone 5 exclusives… who knows…