Where is Lion Compatible Flash?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Dwalls90, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

There is no excuse, given how well and easily Apple has already embarrassed Adobe, for Flash to still be incompatible in many ways with Lion. First off, it's been a while for an update. Second, it's still not even officially supported by Adobe. As a major software developer, this is ridiculous granted Betas have been out since February! I experience these issues when it crashes in Safari, or most in particular I can't click "accept" when trying to video chat with a friend on Safari!

Sucks that I have to rely on Windows 7 via Bootcamp for this feature :rolleyes:

2. Blakeasd macrumors 6502a

3. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Now where's the fix :(

4. TallGuyGT macrumors regular

TallGuyGT

I refuse to load Flash on any computer I own. I want the websites I visit to know it's not installed. There's nothing I have to see badly enough that would make me install Flash. Flash just needs to die. Good thing iOS devices are helping this along ...

5. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

I didn't install the global Flash nonsense, but use Chrome instead which comes with a Flash plugin. Most videos also support HTML5 nowadays, and for the rest I just open them up in Chrome.

And I agree with OP: Lion developer previews have been around for more than 6 months, and suddenly Adobe figures out that their plugin isn't working as it should? Extremely unprofessional.

6. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

To be honest... The way Steve-o denigrates Adobe, I think it's hilarious what Adobe thinks of Apple. :D And I really don't blame them. We OSX users are the proverbial pimple on the elephant's arse when it comes to Adobe's flash priorities.

Neggers... click away. :)

7. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Of course, billing yourself as a cross-platform solution and neglecting the number two platform is pretty odd.

8. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

There is a perfect excuse, Apple mac account less than 10% of PC market, so why would Adobe spend major resource to rush out a solution.

I really don't think Adobe care much about Apple products since the % of mac is so small and IOS devices don't even run Flash.

9. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Because that tiny 10% accounts for nearly 50% of their (Adobe's) revenue?

10. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Because they promised their developers that Flash is a cross-platform solution?

11. 88 King, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011

88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

That's interesting, I'd imaging Adobe sells much more to Windows than mac, got any links for me to read?

I never brought any Adobe mac software because I can get them much cheaper through work on Windows platform, I don't know any Adobe mac discount exist for any business in the UK.

To believe any promise of a software company makes is like buying a lottery ticket, both have about the same probability of coming true. :D

I do hope Adobe get their act together and release a fix soon.

12. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

It's still more cross-platform than its major competitor (Silverlight).

13. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Adobe only does what Adobe wants to do.

As far as cross-platforming goes... plenty of Adobe products make the leap to OSX and are maintained on a timely basis. Let's just hope Stevie-boy keeps his mouth shut about these. :D

14. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

I think Adobe couldn't care less about Mac users.

Sure, we may be 50% of their income, but I have an odd suspicion that deep down they would be just as happy to give up that 50% revenue if they didn't have to deal with "demanding" Mac users.

[As if expecting quality software is somehow asking too much. But since Microsoft users are much more used to it, I think Adobe feels they're easier to control]

15. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Actually, I'd say that Silverlight works better than Flash.

16. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

17. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I didn't say that it works worse than Flash (I agree Silverlight does some things very well), but Microsoft only releases Silverlight for Windows and Mac OS X.

There is no Linux version, or anything for mobile platforms.

Hence the "cross-platform" comment.

18. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I thought 10.3.x was the beta, but I forgot that went mainstream. I'll give this a try later on - hopefully it works better on Lion.

19. aeaglex07 macrumors 6502

aeaglex07

Well said

20. Yuusharo macrumors member

I'm confused.... exactly what are people complaining about, now? I've been using the shipping 10.3 version of Flash in Lion for both Safari and Firefox, as well as the built-in version that ships with Google Chrome, and it works perfectly fine. Videos play (with acceleration), chat windows work, camera works. I'm using the 2010 Macbook Air running Lion.

So what am I missing, exactly? :confused:

21. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Did you not read the thread? It's not officially supported by Adobe on Lion, and it does NOT work on ALL websites, such as those requiring audio or video input.

22. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

Warning - the beta does not seem to work well with Adobe Connect (adobe's version of webex). I had to go back to 10.3 to connect to my employer's server. I got a pop-up that said I needed to update the adobe connect app with "yes" and "no" buttons. Neither of them worked with the beta, but when went back to 10.3, they did.

23. AnneStuarto238 macrumors member

24. Yuusharo macrumors member

I did read the thread. That's why I'm confused, because I have yet to encounter any problems with Flash that are specific to Lion. Which websites aren't working?

I went to http://www.testwebcam.com and it loaded up my camera and microphone with no problems. I'm using Chrome running flash 10.3.183.5.