Where is maximize?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gagaliya, Apr 30, 2011.

1. gagaliya macrumors 6502

Hi,

How do you max a window in mac os x to full screen. The equivalent of the maximize icon in windows.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. GGJstudios, Apr 30, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  3. iLucas macrumors 6502

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not a maximize button. It doesn't make windows full screen.

5. iLucas macrumors 6502

Well. I guess it's more of scale to fit button. Not exactly maximize, but close to me.

6. asdfx3 macrumors newbie

There's an opensource project called ShiftIt that lets you set a maximize hotkey (as well as a few other sizes like size to half the screen or one corner).

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Not in all applications, but it does make iPhoto, Firefox, XCode, iWeb, Garage Band, Path Finder, Terminal, Automator, App Store, iMovie, and tons and tons of other applications maximize their windows.

Don't tell people it isn't used as a maximize button, that is patently false.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The green button in OSX just doesn't work as a maximize button, at least not in the same way they work in windows and Linux.

Take iTunes, you press the green button and it changes itunes to a tiny player and then back to a regular window.

In safari it makes the windows larger, it does not maximize the window to consume the entire screen

In iCal it seems to be close where it does take up nearly the entire screen with the exception of covering the dock.

Its very inconsistent which is odd for a company known for paying attention to details. Apple has a long history of setting UI standards and then breaking them.

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

...if the Dock is not hidden.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It doesn't maximize like Windows, where all apps behave the same way. It also doesn't maximize like Windows, where the entire screen is covered, because it leaves the Dock exposed, unless the Dock is hidden. The OP asked specifically about "The equivalent of the maximize icon in windows." The green button in Mac OS X is similar, but it is not the equivalent of the Windows maximize button. To say that it is would be misleading. Apple doesn't even call it a maximize button.

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Maximized windows in Windows don't cover the task in Windows, so I fail to see how this is not the same as Maximize in Windows.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

With a maximized window in Windows, you can't see any part of your Desktop. With Mac OS X and a non-hidden Dock, you can.

13. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Simply because the dock doesn't take up the entire edge of the screen. What would you expect it to you? Create some irregular window shape? You're grasping at straws here. Just eat your words and admit that the zoom button works the same way as it does in Windows with a huge number (vast majority?) of applications.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The point is, the maximize button in Windows and the green "expand" button in Mac OS X are not direct equivalents. While the function may be the same in some circumstances, it's not consistent and not designed to be exactly the same. In many cases, it's only designed to expand a window enough to accommodate the contents. If you tell someone they're the same, you're giving them a false expectation of how it works in Mac OS X. If the green button was truly a maximize button, threads like this one (and so many others) and apps like RightZoom (and so many others) wouldn't exist.

15. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I never said they were. Where are you getting this assumption?
    Never once did I say they were the same. You're the one who said "you don't" implying that the green button never acts as a maximize button. You didn't say, "in some cases you don't," just "you don't." Obviously that implies an absolute, meaning it never acts as a maximize button. You're the one spreading false information.

16. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Click on the title bar of the window and drag it to the upper left corner. Now click on the diagonal lines in the lower right corner and expand it to the lower right corner of your screen. That's how.

There's not always an equivalent procedure from one OS to another. That's what distinguishes them. If they were all the same, we'd only have one.

17. rex450se macrumors regular

Not only was the failure to be able to maximize a window to full screen a little bothersome to me, I also missed the snap feature of windows 7. I found an app called HyperDock. It solved both of these problems. When I want a full screen window I just drag the window to the top of the screen and it snaps it to full screen, you can also drag to the sides to have it snap to that side at half the screen. I use this with multiple windows open, it will open them up to fill the whole screen with one to four windows. With four they are just in there own corner. It is a lot easier than having to resize each window to fit where you want it. I think it was $10 but worth every bit. I use it constantly without even thinking about it.

Victor

18. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

How is this working for you? I find it is hit and miss when it is going to allow you to max a window (or preview windows, which is another feature it has). Sometimes it just stops working, and then for some reason it starts back working. The Developer site says nothing about this in the FAQ, and I’ve seen other posts with people having this problem. Would be nice to get a fix.