Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

T.Sthlm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2010
So, I bought an iPhone 3Gs in belief it was factory unlocked. It was bought at an Apple dealership in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, as a replacement for my Swedish one that got stolen while I was there. Turns out it wasn't factory unlocked, but hacked with blacksn0w, and then repacked to look like new. Even had plastic wrapping around the box.

Like many people have been reporting, I had connectivity issues, wifi not working, and in the end, the phone crashed, and reinstalling blacksn0w after restore instantly crashes it again. I don't have my SHSH stored.

Now, I'm stuck with a phone that doesn't work at all, either in Sweden or Cambodia, and a three year Swedish contract for my stolen iPhone, that I can't use.

I don't know what operator it's locked to or where it is originally from. I'm hoping that just MAYBE there's a way to get it unlocked from the original carrier.

Does anyone know how I can find out?

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
You should remove your serial # from your post !

It's the second post in a few hours mentioning stolen/corrupted Apple hardware with serial number. I don't know what to think...

But I am sorry for anybody's trouble. You cannot return the iPhone, can you. By the serial number, you can check the phone's date. Can that help?

T.Sthlm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2010
It didn't occur to me the phone could be stolen.. what's wrong with publishing the serial number?

I can't remove it from the thread anyway, since it's quoted in a reply..

wenglish

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2008
Seems to me if it was purchased from an Apple dealer you should have some recourse through Apple in the USA.

WhatAmI

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2009
And there's no way for you to restore/jailbreak it and get the model number off it? Model number will tell you where it's from

boko

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2009
find the model number from the box if you can't access the phone, and from there you will be able to find out where the iphone is from :)

T.Sthlm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2010
find the model number from the box if you can't access the phone, and from there you will be able to find out where the iphone is from :)

I have the box, but how do I know the origins from the model number?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.