Where is my 512MB memory?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iPhoneUserInNYC, Oct 15, 2011.

1. iPhoneUserInNYC macrumors newbie

I see less than 256MB on my iphone 4S.

Attached Files:

2. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

Odd have you tried other RAM apps?

3. iPhoneUserInNYC thread starter macrumors newbie

Less than 256MB with another app also.

Is it just me or anyone else has same problem? Wondering if I should exchange the phone for another one.

Attached Files:

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Seriously?

5. Eager Beaver macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

Looks like you got screwed dude, we all have 512, and Andoids have 1g :eek:

6. iPhoneUserInNYC, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011

iPhoneUserInNYC thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not embarrassed dude, I'm pissed! You have no idea how bad I wanted a huge memory upgrade over the paltry 128MB on my iPhone 3G, which almost was a brick running iOS4. I expected 1GB on the new iPhone, and was disappointed enough with Apple when 512MB was announced on iPhone 4S, to scale back on the money I wanted to give them on iPhone 4S (I was planning to buy a 32GB/64GB but ended up buying 16GB).

I am one of those few that run my iPhone 3G as iOS4/Andriod dual-boot device. I don't want this thread turned into iPhone/Andriod hate-thread.

I'm looking for real answers for the memory issue. I'm thinking that 256MB memory is fabricated with each A5 core, and these system utility apps are reading memory only from one core (wild guess). Is this a possibility? Can someone more knowledgeable chime in? Can those who are seeing 512MB on their iPhone 4S post images? Thanks.

7. gslrider, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011

gslrider macrumors 6502

gslrider

hmmm...I'm using Activity Monitor Touch, and it's showing that I have only 504MB of memory on my 32GB 4S. What other apps can I use to double check this? Also, I have no apps running (all closed), yet it's telling me I only have 199MB of the 504MB free. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Attached Files:

8. iPhoneUserInNYC thread starter macrumors newbie

The iOS5 is loaded into Wired memory, and there are Active and Inactive sections of the memory, so 199MB free memory is fine. See "Usage" page of Monitor app. If you're not familiar with Apple's memory management, http://www.macyourself.com/2010/02/17/what-is-free-wired-active-and-inactive-system-memory-ram/ has some basic definitions.

Thank you for the reference to Monitor app. This one shows my 4S has ~512MB memory. Don't use the other two apps I used -- Mocha iSys and isysteminfo -- to double check. They showed me wrong info. Or may be you could try them to confirm they indeed are bad apps.

Attached Files:

9. gslrider macrumors 6502

gslrider

Thanks for the info. I've known that the system always hogs up memory from the get go, I thought Monitor would show actual RAM installed. Guess it's showing amount of RAM after the phone has taken what it needs for itself. I'll check those other apps to compare. Cheers.

10. Eager Beaver macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

So at least now you cam be pissed that Android has double the memory, (and not triple) :mad:

(never owned an android, not a fan boyee)