Where is my camera roll?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by iBlazed, Oct 20, 2014.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Either I'm crazy or it's nowhere to be found. Here is a screenshot of what I see.

Attached Files:

2. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Seems to be missing. Mine is right at the top.

3. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Yeah, this is pretty annoying. Could it have anything to do with turning iCloud photos on?

4. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Yes. Only difference is the name of that folder. If you turn off iCloud photos it will just be called Camera Roll instead of All photos. Either way, it still will show all photos.

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Turn OFF IPL Beta

SETTINGS > PHOTOS & CAMERA > iCLOUD PHOTO LIBRARY (BETA)

6. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

If I turn that off none of my photos are backed up any longer, correct? Is there still a photostream?

7. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

There is still a PS/Photostream.

8. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

So whats the difference between using that as opposed to icloud photo?

9. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Honestly, no effing clue. That confuses me too. I like the old style Camera Roll/PS combo so I have it set that way.

I have no use for the iCloud Drive and to see documents/pics on my iPad (my daughter uses the iPad more than I do and I don't want her seeing some of the pics I take) and my MacBook as I don't have to have them on there as of yet.

10. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Apple used to keep things so simple. What's the deal with putting beta versions of their services in the customer version of their OS that have similar functions to a current service? And then failing to explain to customers the real difference between the two. Not very intuitive.

11. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Photostream is only a limited number of recent photos. IPL is every photo. When active, ALL PHOTOS is in same spot as Camera Roll when IPL is NOT active.

12. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Thank you for clarifying! Much appreciated.

13. StonewallBrown macrumors regular

StonewallBrown

If you think about it, it makes perfect sense. If iCloud Library is turned off, you have Camera Roll. Just like a camera. The pics you take, are on your device in a folder called camera roll. If iCloud Library is on, the main folder is called My Photos, because it shows all pics taken from any device in one folder.

14. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Yea, make sense... if you don't think about it... :rolleyes:

15. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Photo stream only captures the last 1000 photos you've taken. iCloud Photo Library is your whole photo library (up to whatever storage size you're paying for).

16. StonewallBrown macrumors regular

StonewallBrown

If you have 2 cameras sitting side by side, and take a picture with 1 camera, the pic shows up in your camera roll. So, I can see why It's called camera roll with iCloud Library off. I guess they could have called it Camera RollS, but thats getting caught up in semantics. My Photo's acts the same as Camera Roll.

17. bgro macrumors 6502a

It doesn't make sense. It should be called "Camera Roll" regardless of whether or not you have iCloud Photo Library turned on.

If you do have it turned on, it can be called "Camera Roll' because it would show all the pics from ALL your cameras (all camera equipped iOS devices). Apple is making some terrible design/naming changes that does nothing but confuse MOST of it's customers. I don't mean people in this forum but the average Joe. I think the fact that this forum has a ton of confused people with questions related to iCloud, Camera Roll, and a host of other things says ALOT about Apples design decisions. I've NEVER seen more confusion or questions related to any of their services.

18. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Agreed. They've failed to address this in 8.1. It's a confusing mess and they need to cut the "beta" crap. Either release a service or don't. Don't use your paying customers as guinea pigs. Betas are for developers, not customers.

19. StonewallBrown macrumors regular

StonewallBrown

That's what I don't get here. What does it matter what the folder is called? All Photos, Camera Roll, doesn't matter. the folder behaves the same way. It's just a name.

20. bgro macrumors 6502a

Exactly my point but better said. Just make it consistent to avoid confusion.

21. Fantasigraphic macrumors 65816

Thought Apple removed the 1000 Photo Stream limit

22. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

Camera Roll is only photos from the same device the Camera Roll is on (Pictures taken with that camera). And yes the Photos app is very confusing.

23. bgro macrumors 6502a

I understand that. i also understand the difference between "All Photos" and "Camera Roll" (which one you get depends on whether you have iCloud Photo Library turned on).

My issue is that Apple is making this unecessarily confusing for most people (as evidenced by the MASS amount of threads regarding iCloud Photo Library, Camera Roll, iCloud Drive, and the list goes on and on).

This is not a good thing and they need to get their ***** together. This isn't an "Apple is doomed post" by any means. But the foundation of what makes Apple so great is starting to crack although ever so slightly. Don't ever think a company is too big to fail..the bottom line is that if people are confused by something they most likely won't use it and move to something else.

24. swiftdev macrumors newbie

yeah, because the "beta" product strategy totally failed for that now out of business company called google ;)

25. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I remember the confusion surrounding iTunes Match. :)