where is my disc space?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by quat, Feb 16, 2009.

1. quat macrumors newbie

I have a 120GB hard drive, and have only 50 of it left...

I mostly browse the internet and check e-mail. I have about 15GB worth of pictures and about the same in music. So thats 30 used, but is there a place for internet files or other downloaded items that might be causing me to have space thats used and I am not aware of it?

2. lostless macrumors 6502

well a 120GB HD formats to 111GB in binary. So there's 9 gigs gone off the bat. OSX itself is another 4.2GB. Default apps are another good 6-7 gigs with
    Garageband and iDVD being teh biggest offenders. Those loops do take up much space. They give you about 3 gigs worth on a default install. Pluss other stuff like defualt wallpapers, screensavers, library files. Then take away your 30 gigs in music and photos, and im right around 60 Gigs left. Then take what ever other apps you have installed plus other factors like your download folder (mine seems to grow quite quickly with all those left over .dmg, .zip ect files) and you can see you can easily be at 50gigs left.

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

It will probably help you to track down where the space is being used by taking a look at your hard drive contents graphically, since the big files will stand out like a sore thumb. You can do this easily with either or both of the free utilities Grand Perspective and Disk Inventory X. Take a look and things may make more sense!

4. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

5. claimed4all macrumors 6502

15gb of Photos, is that what you think you have or what iPhoto says you are using. If you edit a decent amount of your pictures its not hard to make that number almost double, since it keep the original and the edit.

Empty the trash lately?

6. quat thread starter macrumors newbie

well i have both my iPhoto Library ( cause it's easy to use to show people my pictures ) and then I have a separate folder that I keep all the origionals in. Which when I check that folder it says 10gb, and the iPhoto Library reads 5.5gb. I am amazed at how fast this went, when I used windows I had a 40gb drive and never once filled it.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Well you are spending more time doing things in OSX,
    instead of trying to get windows to work. ;)