iPad Where is my film?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by GovtLawyer, Apr 15, 2017.

1. GovtLawyer macrumors 6502

I downloaded a movie from iTunes to my iPad, intending to watch it on a plane ride while on vacation. I had to delete a number of items in order to make room for it. It appeared to download correctly and took a long time to download. When I went to look for it I couldn't find it anywhere on my iPad. I just connected the iPad to iTunes on my computer - via USB - and I see the movie under things on my device, under Rentals. yet, I still cannot find it on my iPad. It also appears to be in my iPad as the largest storage occupier is a video.

Any idea where it is, how I can find it, and if I find it, will I be able to view it on my TV via Airplay? I no longer have the need to see a movie on a small screen.

Thanks.

2. GovtLawyer thread starter macrumors 6502

I FOUND IT. I searched for other forum discussions and found the answer. The answer INFURIATES me. In order to watch the film on the plane, I needed to download it to the device the day before - which I did. Then, on the plane I needed to go to the "TV APP." That's right! The "TV APP." Now why in the world did Apple decide to hide my film in an app labeled TV? This is one of the dumbest things I can imagine. If only I had thought that Apple might have put it in an unrelated app I could have found it in time to provide the entertainment I planned on. I would have looked at all my apps. I would have looked at my financial services app, and my chess app, and my dating app, and the app of the US Constitution and maybe even my mail app. Yeah, that should have been my first thought when looking for my film, to look in my mail app. How stupid of me to not realize that my it would be in the TV app.

3. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

Which app did you expect it should be in? The TV app is for all videos, programs, movies, etc. Anything that you would display on a TV.

4. GovtLawyer thread starter macrumors 6502

Either iTunes or a video in the photo app, where other videos reside. Sine I wasn't watching it on a TV I never thought to look in there. Maybe it should have been in My Music; after all, there is a music soundtrack.
    It should have been in a dedicated app - or directory as the TV app is nothing more than that - called Video or Movies. How hard would it be to add that. Since I found another thread about this subject, I know I'm not alone.

5. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

In iOS10, Apple changed the name of the "Video" app to "TV" so that it could also interface with other video apps such as Netflix, Hulu, etc. The idea was to create a single app that could search and interface with all of the video apps.

The Photos app only contains videos you take with your iPhone camera. Any video, movie or program you download from iTunes will be in the TV app.

6. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

I did think this was a somewhat unintuitive change -- the old "Video" app was named according to common computer conventions.

TV makes sense in an almost skeuomorphic way, as in: press this for "TV mode," making your device into a video-watching appliance. I do see how that might be confusing for first time users who might think of this as some kind of television streaming service though.

Just FYI, iTunes purchases (and rentals? Not certain) can also be accessed from the ITunes app in more->purchases.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hooray for inconsistency - it's still called Videos on an iPhone! (I don't have an iPad).

8. hungx, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017

hungx macrumors 6502

hungx

It's now TV app on the iPhone. I installed one of the betas that had the rebranding of the video app. I "deleted" the TV app and kept the old Videos app. It's still there when I update the OS. New installs have the TV app as standard. Since the Videos app has been removed from the App Store, there is no way to get it back if you delete it unless you restore from a backup.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Interesting; mine's still Videos under 10.3.1 although I haven't done a full restore (I did a restore at some point during iOS 9 but have just done in-place updates since then, and haven't installed any of the betas).

10. GovtLawyer thread starter macrumors 6502

I was on an airplane when I wanted to see it. The free WiFi on a plane is not very good. I couldn't even connect to iTunes, which was my first thought.

11. infinitejest macrumors 6502

infinitejest

It has only changed to TV in the U.S.

12. PaperQueen macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

View attachment 706472 On a related note.... I inadvertently deleted the TV app (not to be confused with the TV Remote app). Means iTunes will no longer sync video of any kind to my iPad.

The TV app doesn't appear in the iTunes App Store (screenshot attached), so.... How do I get that crazy app back? :::feeling like a bonehead:::

13. fs454 macrumors 65816

Honestly, just download VLC and load your media into that. Dealing with iTunes and syncing and all that is an awful experience that I cannot believe is endorsed by Apple in its current form. (Why is an app called ITUNES even in play anymore for moving non music files to a tablet computer?)

14. PaperQueen macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

Did an online chat with Apple Support and learned that if you search "TV" in the left hand search field (on the "Purchased" screen), nothing shows up. If, however, you type "TV" into the top righthand corner search field, it does appear.

Yeah. Okay. I'm sure there's some kind of logic there.

I checked out VLC, but the reviews are pretty iffy on the current version. Might keep my eye on it for awhile to see if things improve. Thanks for the tip. :)