Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DolemiteJackson

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2006
I have just upgraded from an iBook 500mhz to a MacBook Pro 2.2ghz. Huge jump in technology.

Anyways, when I look in About this Mac, I have a 111.79 GB Fujitsu hard drive.

jDisk report tells me I'm using 18.9GB of hard drive, and the Finder says I've got

61.07GB left. So where's the missing 31.82 gigs? I did fresh install as soon as I

got this machine. Are there files that don't show up with jDiskreport?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Right click on your HDD on the desktop and select 'Get Info'

What capacity and space remaining does that report?

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Did you take into consideration the OS install and all subsequent updates?

DolemiteJackson

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2006
Right click on your HDD on the desktop and select 'Get Info'

What capacity and space remaining does that report?

Good idea. This is reporting 50.4 GB being used. It's almost like the install disks

were installed twice. Is there any way to tell if this is so?

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Not that im aware of. You might wanna do a reinstallation. By the way are you sure you did an erase & install the first time or an archive and install?

I hear the latter eats up more GBs

bplein

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Austin, TX USA
The old-school side of me suggests:

sudo du / | sort -n | tail -n 100

Which will show you the most filled directories.

But for most people, "Disk Inventory X" is the GUI way to do it. Quicker too. Google it.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Not that im aware of. You might wanna do a reinstallation. By the way are you sure you did an erase & install the first time or an archive and install?

I hear the latter eats up more GBs

If you did the archive and install, you can just delete the folder that says System Old or something time like.

bplein

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Austin, TX USA
I found a folder in on my harddrive called Previous System. Is this folder safe to delete?

If you are happy with your install, and nothing is broken, then yes, you can delete it. If you still have sufficient space in your system, you can even leave this folder around for a while and then delete it at the point that you REALLY need the space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.