Where is my HDD space going?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jblack4083, May 27, 2008.

1. Jblack4083 macrumors regular

Ok so i ran into a conundrum. I have a 120Gb HDD in my MBP and it's formatted size is 111.47Gb.

The dilemma is, I have 62.56Gb left! My music folder is ~15Gb, Pictures are ~2Gb, Applications ~ 8Gb, and everything else is barely over 500Mb. How have I used 48.91Gb without knowing it. Tiger doesn't take up more than 20Gb right?

Where the hell is my disk space going. And it decreases sometimes too without me knowing it (I think).

What are some good, free, defragging utilities?

2. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

It's pretty easy to lose track of where disk space goes. My favorite program for honing in on used disk space is a free program called Disk Inventory X, available here.

3. hakjak macrumors newbie

4. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I don't know how true this is but I heard that; If you have a lot of single songs from different artists that the album art really adds up. Also heard something about; If you have a lot of complete CD / Albums, you could perhaps, only attach the album art to one song of that album to save space.

5. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

a few other tips if you haven't done it already.

1) get rid of all those printer drivers you're not using.
    2) if you only use one or two (or three or...) languages, get rid of the extra language packs
    3) use xslimmer to strip the PPC code from all the universal binary programs.

sorry, I'm a bit distracted by other things right now, so no links, but some searching on these forums/the interwebs should get you all the info you need.