Where is my iphone from?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rickipedia, Mar 8, 2010.

1. rickipedia macrumors newbie

I've bought an iphone with simlock in NL and I've got a T-mobile SIM, so I thought no problem there. My phone doesn't allow the T-mobile SIM so it can't be a Dutch phone. Is there anyway by looking for example to the IMEI to check where my phone was sold originally?

2. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

You might get a clue if you look at the network settings in the phone.

Settings - General - Network - Cellular Data. On mine the apn shows as belonging to O2 in UK. What does yours show?

Or check Settings - General - About - Carrier.

3. rickipedia thread starter macrumors newbie

4. rickipedia thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought I did, but it says China, which is referring to the factory. Any other suggestions?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So you bought an iphone thats locked in NL and you thought you could use your Tmobile Sim with no problems?
    Its the same thing as buying a US iphone locked to AT&T or any other carrier locked iphone.
    What difference does it make where its from? Only thing that matters is its not factory unlocked so you will have to software JB and unlock without messing up and updating the baseband if you're not on a 2G iphone.

6. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

No clues at all from the network settings?

7. rickipedia thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem is that I've got network drop outs because the Iphone is unlocked with blackrain. I would really like to have it unlocked in a legal way, cause these dropouts are making me crazy :mad:

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not much you can do about it unless your the original owner and fulfill the carriers requirement to officially unlock your device thru the network it was originally activated to.

9. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

AS inferred above;

IF you go:

settings>general>network>cellular data network

The APN for the carrier should be listed.

i.e this is a server the carrier uses to send data to your phone and should tell you the phone's carrier. (Of course sometimes people alter this for variours reasons, though that's another story.)