Where is my iPhone, right this moment?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BeerNap, Jun 16, 2010.

1. BeerNap macrumors newbie

Is it overseas? On a boat? In the air? In a warehouse? Is it dark there? Is it scared?

If Apple/AT&T were unprepared for this unprecedented pre-order event, can they be prepared to fulfill the orders? That's alot of invoices to print, pair with product, box, and label. Then get it into Fed-Ex's hands. Do they have capabilities to meet this part of the process?

2. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

in parts still being put together i would say lol.. :p

3. nfl46 macrumors 604

Probably on a boat. Probably this weekend, they'll be in the states in a warehouse, then first part of next week (Monday and Tuesday), they'll start arriving in retail stores.

4. bmms8 macrumors 68020

they are being assembled as we speak in china. and yes apple will take care of everything.

5. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

I like it. :D

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

lol I can walk down to my local fedex and have something shipped from seattle to miami for less than $200 bucks and arrive tonight.

I think they know what they're doing, even if ya'll doubt their abilities EVERY YEAR. The only thing they can't seem to get right is not ordering early.

7. rmwhite macrumors member

I wrote this in another thread, but it is applicable here.

If you've read any business-related books (most specifically "The World is Flat"), you'll be able to understand my reasoning.

No matter where you pre-ordered from, for direct fulfillment to your home/business, they're all going to ship from the same place via the same method. There's a good chance that there are a few FedEx warehouses across the country which have crate upon crate of product that they will begin distributing as launch day gets closer.

Steve's said that apple isn't a search company, and likewise they're not a shipping/logistics company. It would make sense that Apple has never even taken possession of the products following its departure from the foxconn factory, and that in fact FedEx is handling all distribution and delivery logistics.

It would additionally make sense that Apple is able to provide free shipping to all based on a reduced cost per volume of packages shipped via FedEx over the next week/month/year. At this point, it seems just a matter of printing labels on the pre-packaged, one-off iPhone boxes and starting them through the FedEx system. There are likely separate fulfillment channels for distribution to retail stores, in which shrink-wrapped iPhone boxes are packaged "by hand" for distribution to Apple/ATT locations based on reservation volume and BB/RS locations based on a (probably) simple formula taking into account retail and population densities, as well as stock necessary to provide Apple and ATT with sufficient product.

My hypothesis will be generally confirmed if someone who orders two separate iphones receives two phones individually packaged in their own shipping box.

8. jfk3674 macrumors member

When I ordered the camera kit and case for my IPad the fedex information they provided to me showed Hong Kong as the origination point of the delivery. I placed the order in early may and it said expected arrive was like June 3rd. On June 2nd it showed it left HK, even though the tracking was all set for like 5 days.

9. BeerNap thread starter macrumors newbie

I hope you're correct. I have faith in Fed-Ex's capabilities.

10. sesnir macrumors 6502

lol... my poor iPhone 4. There's probably a bunch in some warehouse somewhere as they continue pumping them out.

11. vkobejitsu macrumors newbie

This is a thread from the 3GS release.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=720502&highlight=flight+tracker

I'm pretty sure it's going to be the same this year.

12. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I have a close friend that's in airport operations at Memphis Int'l which is the FedEx hub. He also knows quite a few upper level management people there and he has watched pallets of new Apple gear (iPods, iPhone 3GS) in the past go through the hub on their way to other parts of the country. It's a site to behold he says. The sheer logistics is amazing. So far the iP4 hasn't come in.

13. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

Gray Powell Has it...:eek:

14. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

15. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

I assure you they are already assembled. But yes they are still assembling more as we speak. They aren't going to open pre-orders without anything assembled....

16. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

17. gadgetfreaky macrumors 65816

18. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

ROTFL! :D

Is my iPhone as excited to see me as I am to see it? Does it know that I am already shopping for bumpers to protect it and cradles to hold it.

Its blank 32gb mind will be filled with an entire season of Sons of Anarchy

19. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

20. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

It's not on a boat. Apple does not use ships to transport merchandise from overseas -- only planes.

21. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

^

Attached Files:

22. BeerNap thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL - Let everyone know where you're registered and we'll get a shower organized for you.

23. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

My sister's MacBook Pro and the iPod touch she got my brother for his birthday, shipped straight out of Shanghai, China last week. So it's probably being put together right now.

24. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

OOPS, I actually lol... Getting hard to pretend I'm working here.

25. abercrombie macrumors regular

abercrombie

I could only imagine, some little boy in the hot jungles of Vietnam has a mini screwdriver and is screwing the parts together. It's hot, so he has to worry about sweat dripping into the parts in addition while swatting away the mosquitoes.He scratches, "Help, Nguyen" with latitude directions into the inner compartment in an attempt to get the word out. Armed gunmen make sure no photographers get nearby to see this secret hidden jungle sweatshop.