Where is my RAM going.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MLeidel, Feb 10, 2015.

1. MLeidel macrumors newbie

I recently upgraded my Mid-2010 Macbook to 8gb of ram. Everything is working great only thing questioning to me is when I go to activity tracker with everything closed except the tracker it is showing almost 4gigs being used. This just seems odd to have so much being accessed with no programs running. It shows lots of processes using small amounts but I'm not aware of what many of these things are operating. Any advice? In this screen shot there is Google Chrome open.

Attached Files:

2. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

Most probably Chrome. Chrome uses a lot of RAM for a reason that I can't remember off the top of my head. Try using Safari for a while and see if the RAM usage goes down.

It is just the way the browser is built; it will take advantage of all the RAM available.

3. MLeidel thread starter macrumors newbie

Even with Chrome close the change in use is minimal still 3.88gig used.

4. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

RAM is there to be used. Especially in Mavericks and above. I have 8GB in my MBP and I'm usually using 7.5GB to 8 anyway. Really all you need to see is the memory pressure graph. When it's in the yellow it's still usually alright. If it hits red that's when you're really using more than you have and would benefit from an upgrade.

Since you're already maxed out at 8GB, I wouldn't worry about it one bit.

My Mac Mini has 16GB RAM at work and it uses around 8GB with nothing open too. It's totally normal.

For instance:
    [​IMG]