Where is my SSH

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by patricklanc, Nov 14, 2007.

1. patricklanc macrumors newbie

Okay, I just gave up 1.1.2
    so I downgrade to 1.1.1 and went to jailbreakme.com to break my ipod touch again. It was as before, the ipod was broken and the installer 3 is there now. However the SSH was gone? And I cant see it either in installer. I tried to connect to jailbreakme.com again, seems it does not work now. What's wrong with this? Can some one help me? Thanks for help.

2. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Turn WiFi on and connect to your network and try and do SSH, it should work. Jailbreakme wont work anymore because it patches the tiff exploit which it needs to work.

3. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

It's installed installed by default by jailbreakme.com.

But you install it through Installer, just look for 'OpenSSH' and install it.

Then look for 'Services', it is a nice app to be able to quickly toggle both Wifi and SSH on and off.

4. patricklanc thread starter macrumors newbie

well, I connected ipod touch through wifi and tried SSH, it shows connection refused. So I think the ssh is not opened. I cant find OpenSSH in installer. is there anyway I can turn on SSH? or should I restore again?

5. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

It sounds like SSH is installed, but not turned on.

Look for the app 'Services' in Installer, it is worth downloading anyway. Install it, and try to turn on SSH with it.

Not sure what category its in, but just select all apps, and find it alphabetically...

6. patricklanc thread starter macrumors newbie

I've checked my installer and found no "Services" inside. I checked all apps but still cant find anything seemed relate to SSH. I dont know how to turned it on so I cant connect to Ipod by sftp either. I have tried to restore again and the same thing happened. Now I am in 1.1.2 and have no idea how to do.

7. jepaz macrumors regular

I suggest you do the following:
    1. Restore to 1.1.2
    2. Downgrade to 1.1.1 via iTunes (UPDATE not RESTORE).
    3. Follow the rest of the steps in the README.txt of the 1.1.2-jailbreak.zip file

Don't forget to put a check mark in the "Install SSH" before clicking jailbreak for 1.1.2. You will only need SSH when installing iPhone Apps.

8. ks-man macrumors 6502a

Sorry for being such a noob, but what is SSH?

I tried searching around here but still can't get a clear answer.

Thanks.

9. pogo23 macrumors newbie

Well, I might sound stupid, but I have exactly the same question!
    what is SSH? I just jailbroken to 1.1.2 my ipod touch and have now on the dock both Installer AND SSH, but have no idea what's that for!
    thanks!!

10. hecks macrumors regular

In this case, it's for connecting from your Mac/PC to your iPod over WiFi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ssh

11. eLMafUDd macrumors newbie

In installer, look for the "sources" list. Install all the sources found in there, then try again.

Install BSD Subsystem first, then OpenSSH.

Just look in all applications and scroll down.

12. patricklanc thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeh, I have just jailbreak successfully with the process above. However, when I was trying to ssh my ipod touch. The terminal shows this

@ WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED! @
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
    Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
    It is also possible that the RSA host key has just been changed.
    The fingerprint for the RSA key sent by the remote host is
    dd:6b:5e:02:56:96:d8:9d:82:ed:bd:88:c5:2e:93:60.
    Please contact your system administrator.
    Add correct host key in /Users/patrick/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this message.
    Offending key in /Users/patrick/.ssh/known_hosts:2
    RSA host key for 10.0.1.199 has changed and you have requested strict checking.
    Host key verification failed.

well,when I was trying to connect with SFTP by Cyberduck, the same message showed up too, but I can click permit to connect anyway, but I dont know how to solve it in SSH coz I want to activate the applications I just upload to my ipod touch, is there any way to do?