Where is my storage space going?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Achilles75, May 9, 2011.

1. Achilles75 macrumors member

iPad 2, 16GB wifi, running 4.3.3. I've been gradually watching my storage space drop by about 100MB per day for the last week or so. I'm down from 9.0GB to 7.9GB without adding any new apps or any substantial files stored locally. I run 26 apps, none of which are huge space hogs. Two games for the kids, no music, no movies. Most all of my apps and files are business related. Lots of .pdf documents and a handful of small Keynote presentations. Dropbox set to store a mere 200MB locally. Goodreader is syncing about 360MB from cloud storage. Cache cleared in browsers regularly. iTunes breaks down my storage as 0.01GB photos, 0.01GB books, 0.45GB other, and 5.3GB apps.

Any ideas?

2. Achilles75 thread starter macrumors member

Figured it out

For anyone who may be interested, or experiencing the same issue, the problem was Flipboard. Upon deleting the app, my storage climbed back up 3.4GB. It appears that a few others have had the same issue and the dev says they are looking into it.

3. French macrumors regular

It is so refreshing to see someone post a problem and then come back to post the solution if they found it on their own (especially if they didn't get help on the post).

So often I will search something I'm having an issue with and I'll see other posts with the same issue with no follow up...not even a post to say "can't resolve".

So thank you for taking the time to do that. I just installed Flipboard and will be keeping an eye on it.

4. debudebu macrumors regular

Agreed, it's nice to see people respond for posterity. Had this same problem recently and did a time-consuming clean install. I think flipboard might have been the culprit.

5. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Does this problem seem to be on 4.3.3 exclusively? I haven't had it, but also haven't upgraded yet.

6. debudebu macrumors regular

7. Achilles75 thread starter macrumors member

I should have specified that while I am currently running 4.3.3, the problem began with 4.3.2 but continued even after upgrade to 4.3.3.

Also will add that my wife has an iPad 1st Gen running 4.3.3, also running Flipboard, and she's never had a problem.

8. FlipboardCM macrumors newbie