Where is my storage space going?!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dman91, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Dman91 macrumors member

Hello folks

I own a macbook pro early 2011 , with a 128GB SSD by apple. Recently I almost run out of space so I decided to clean my mac and remove unnecessary files and move movies and other files to an external HDD. Now I have removed almost everything , the only stuff left are maybe a few screenshots and a few other pic which are not more than 35mb. But according to 'about this mac' 48GB is used up which 37gb of it goes to others , but I don't' have anything left of this machine , I even moved the iTunes media files to the external HDD.

http://www.imageurlhost.com/images/c2txwpxnfp16vv9nv8km.jpg

any suggestions?

btw I use Lion 10.7.3

2. harlex macrumors member

have you emptied the recycle bin, if you have, maybe you still have some sort of temp file somewhere that may need deleting.

If all fails and you can't find the answer, make sure you have the op system and go for broke REFORMAT and load the op system which is sitting comfortably on a partition on your SSD

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is no recycle bin on Mac OS X.
    If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain:
    For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
    Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:

4. Dekard, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

5. medi.freak macrumors regular

I have the exact same mac, (early 2011 with 128SSD) and also almost ran out of space. I downloaded Omnidisksweeper. Turned out it was saved emails or something like that. So maybe try that!

6. DAVIDUGLY macrumors member

DAVIDUGLY

I had the exact same yellow "other" problem with the exact same amount of space taken up, truly odd.
    I am on a late 2011 17"
    The apple tech support guys could not figure it out either.

Thanks for the many tips and tricks!

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

A lot of helpful replies here, follow the advice in GJJstudios post!

Comments:
    Local time machine snapshots show up in "About this Mac" as "Backup", not as "Other." So I would guess that the local snapshots are not responsible!

"Other" is a very general category for all the stuff OSX doesn't understand. Did you install a lot of applications? They might show up as "Other"!

Use DiscInventoryX or similar tools to identify what is using your storage space.