Where is Office for iOS?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by petvas, Apr 7, 2013.

1. petvas, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2013

petvas macrumors 601

petvas

We have been hearing the rumors for a long time now about Microsoft Office on iOS but we still haven't seen it. Is Office still coming on iOS? Why would Microsoft develop it for iOS?

2. ra4oasis macrumors 6502

ra4oasis

I think we will see Office for iOS, its just a matter of time. Since Microsoft knows that one of it's cash cows is Office, they will only loose ground to iWork/Google Apps if they don't release it. I don't think they have yet because of the Surface however. They wanted Office to be a Surface only thing, for now. I wonder how Office for iOS will integrate with new subscription based pricing and Skydrive support too.

3. vmachiel macrumors 68000

I'm not so sure it'll happen. I'd rather see everyone making the switch to google docs.

4. RadDave, Apr 7, 2013

RadDave macrumors regular

RadDave

Hi Petvas - thanks for the link to your blog. For myself, now in retirement, I'm transitioning back to Apple (after years w/ PCs & MS Office - had to maintain work & home compatibility) - have iWork on my iPad & just replaced my old Dell laptop w/ a MBP (w/ retina display) which has Pages, Numbers, & Keynote - learning OS X in anticipation of also replacing my wife's Dell DT computer w/ an iMac; she uses Word & Excel, but I think that Pages & Numbers will be fine. I guess that not everyone needs or will want MS Office on their Apple products? Dave :)

5. vaio1990 macrumors member

vaio1990

Don't count on it.. Microsoft is too busy trying to save the PC market

6. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I rather have my eyes gouged out with a red hot poker. Just sayin'.

7. ra4oasis macrumors 6502

ra4oasis

Well you can wish in one hand and crap in the other, but we're still many many years away from Google Docs becoming the standard, if that ever happens, especially in business/education.

8. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Why in gods name would MS allow Office to be run on a device that directly completes with their own tablet? (That and other tablet makers which MS is in bed with). :eek:

Office on an iPad would dismantle much of the PC tablet market (such that is).

9. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

I know for a fact that is happening this year

10. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

And the source of this fact is??

----------

I don't think it's so much an issue that you aren't allowed to post a link to yr own stuff (say in yr sig) but rather that posting threads that are more about pushing folks to yr site than actually discussing things (as both of yr threads today could be viewed) is not cool. Keep it up and folks could report you as a spammer.

11. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Because Microsoft is primarily a software comapny and office is a huge cash cow? I see very little evidence that people are ditching iPad because it doesn't have Office. My guess is the reason it's not available for iPad is the cut of sales Apple wants.

12. Nanasaki macrumors 6502

Nanasaki

Even if Microsoft make Office for iOS...it probably will be half baked one that lacks of functionalities. We will also need pay for subscription for it. I guess the program will be free, what it matter is the monthly subscription.

I highly doubt Microsoft will ever release full featured Office for iOS...

Microsoft could sell office for iOS that misses some features presented in their Windows RT counterpart.

13. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

No. They are an OS company first and foremost. (Who incidentally writes the same OS that drives most of their other software sales)

I suspect there's evidence that more people would buy an iPad if it had Office. Myself included. :eek:

And please, nobody dredge up the fact MS develops Office for the mac. Those of us that use versions for both platforms know it isn't the same. iOS Office - I'll believe it when I see it. If anything it will be so watered down to be practically useless.

14. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

I cannot talk about the source, I am sorry.

About the second commend, how else can I promote my blog site? It is not like stealing from Macrumors, I just happen to think that people might be interested to read my site too. I spend a lot of time and effort to create it, it's a hobby with no intend whatsoever to make money out of it. If somebody now thinks this is spam, then I think I am in the wrong place...Spam is something else...

----------

Microsoft is not a software company anymore. It is a devices and services company, as I wrote in my article. This reorganization is happening right now and I think it will be completed by the end of this calendar year.

15. chrf097, Apr 7, 2013

chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Well you could say the same about Office for Mac, yet we have that too...

Wait, what? Yeah, they may be different visually, but each companion version (Office 2010/2011, Office 2007/2008, Office 2003/2004, etc.) all share the same features, so unless you're just talking about UI differences, do you know what you're talking about?

16. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

And I have a source I can't talk about that tells me that yes Apple is working in a TV set, and a 'watch' and glasses and even a car. It's all facts but I can't say anything else.

When you signed up for your account you agreed to follow the rules of the list and any future rules added after you signed up. You might want to go read those rules.

17. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

LOL! Seriously? I guess I missed my copies of Access and Publisher during the install.

18. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Microsoft generates the bulk of its revenue and profit off of software, no? Windows and Office accounted for 55% of Microsoft's revenues last year. If you include their server and tools division (which is a mix of software and services) its over 83%. The only device the public really associates with Microsoft is Xbox.

----------

I suspect you think office is more important than it really is outside of the corporate workplace. If people needed/wanted office so badly on their tablets Surface RT and Pro would be flying off the shelves. For me personally using a desktop application that is best suited to be user with a mouse/trackpad on a tablet is a horrible experience.

19. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

So the Windows version has more apps available? That doesn't mean they aren't the same.

Word 2011 contains everything Word 2010 does
    PowerPoint 2011 contains everything PowerPoint 2010 does
    Outlook 2011 actually had more features than Outlook 2010 IIRC

If you're going to stretch as far and say Office for Mac is completely different than Office for Windows because you have the addition of Publisher and Access for Windows, then have at it.

At the same time, the T-Mobile iPhone 5 is completely different from the Verizon iPhone 5 because it has AWS, The Xbox 360 S is a completely different experience from the Xbox 360 because it has a special plug for the Kinect and slightly better power management....:rolleyes:

20. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

:eek:

21. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

Outlook on PC is much more powerful than on the Mac. The Mac version sucks.
    Just try using it with Exchange Server.

----------

Microsoft was a software company and now is a devices and services one.

----------

This is really great....

22. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

You keep saying this like you had an epiphany or something. So what does MS do with that money-losing operating system which runs on 90% of the machines in the known universe? That's a "service" now?

23. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

Just have a look at the license model of Office 2013..
    I work closely with Microsoft and know about this reorganization.

24. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

So any idea how users are going to get documents off the ipad? Without icloud, that's 3 steps at least (email to self, go to email, open attachment and save in dropbox).

How does RT handle this?

25. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas