Where is pages hiding my documents? iCloud trouble!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by domroberts, Sep 2, 2012.

1. domroberts macrumors newbie

Hi, a bit of background. I created a document with pages on my iPad, thinking that I could finish later on my iMac. It being wonderfully synced by iCloud. I have now discovered that I had to turn on iCloud for Pages system settings on my iPad - done. I have also discovered - contrary to the impression given by Apple - that I had to sign into iCould on my iMac and download the document. That all worked and the document appeared in Pages and I edited it.

Now how do I get those changes to appear on my iPad? On the apple support site it says that I can upload the pages document to iCloud. Ok I'm happy to do that - although it is hardly seamless! - But I can't find the document. It is in the recent documents drop down list in Pages. It appears in the Spotlight - but Lion now doesn't show me the location of any files in Spotlight like it used to do in Leopard and earlier - it just opens the document. In the Pages menu bar is an iwork icon - but clicking on this just tells me iwork has been discontinued.

Any help much appreciated. I have looked at Apple support and I just keep going round in circles. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Best

Dominic

2. domroberts thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

Hi, I have just discovered that in Spotlight in Lion you can show the file location, by pressing CMD+ALT keys once the file preview has appeared.

This way I discovered that my pages document was saved in the downloads folder. Armed with this information, I was able to upload the file to iCloud. I have now managed to open it on my iPad.

What a great user experience - well done Apple. Although not quite the experiece promised here! Or is this using Mountain Lion?

"Every document, every edit, everywhere.
    With iCloud, the documents you create stay up to date across all your devices — automatically. You don’t have to remember to upload your work to a special folder, or browse a cluttered file system to find it again. Your documents are right there in your app, completely up to date and ready whenever you need them. Which means you can easily access the latest versions anytime on whatever device you happen to be using at the time."

Why can't it work like Photosteam -which is brilliant! Or Sketchbook Pro which allows you to open documents stored in iCloud from within the App.

Come back MS Word - all is forgiven!!

If I'm being harsh or doing something wrong, can someone please enlighten me as I would really love this to work.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Mountain Lion introduce iCloud document storage in the OS, so you can now save documents to iCloud from within Pages, et al. Lion doesn't support this direct save feature, so you'll have to upgrade if you want the more seamless approach.

jW

4. domroberts, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012

domroberts thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Mal,

Thanks for getting back to me. Have just upgraded to Mountain Lion, but still can't see an easy way of accessing these documents in the cloud. I still have a link to iWork, but when I click on it I just get a message saying iWork has be discontinued.

Oh well, I shall have to dig further into it. Not the seamless integration I was hoping for.

Perhaps I need to upgrade pages, but I think I've got the latest.

Dominic

UPDATE

Ok I seem to have found it and it seems to work. So well done Apple. I can now create docs in pages on the fly and then edit and tweak them at home on the mac. Pretty cool really.