Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

furam90

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Can't find it in purchases or in updates, so I can't install. Am I missing something obvious?

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
/Applications

If you plan to reuse the installer, set aside a copy.

This is beneficial so you don't have to download it if you want to erase your computer and then install directly from the flash drive or something right? in the even you don't have internet access?

Skydoor Blue

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2016
Can't find it in purchases or in updates, so I can't install. Am I missing something obvious?

Go to the front page of the Store - the 'Featured" section. Download it. It downloads to your "Applications" folder. If the upgrade installation routine started, and you want an upgrade, fine, carry through with it.

If you want to clean install, cancel out of the upgrade, as the downloaded image is removed as part of the upgrade process. Anyway, after you cancel out of the upgrade if it started, you can create a USB stick installer or similar to do a clean install. A weird sounding Euro guy tells you how to do it here:

In the description section of the video on the YouTube website, he provides the terminal commands you need to create the bootable USB disc.

Calbear88

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2013
This article will help you out.
One option to do a clean install is to download Sierra, perform an upgrade, which will also upgrade the recovery partition on your Mac to Sierra. Then restart your Mac with Command R to boot to the recovery partition, use disk utility to erase your boot drive and reinstall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.