Where is the 2.26 GHz Mac mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by applelifestyle, Mar 4, 2009.

1. applelifestyle macrumors newbie

applelifestyle

One thing I find interesting in the new Mac mini is that Apple offers both models at the same speed. If I'm not mistaken, this is the first time both models (basic and high end) feature the same processor speed...

Then I was reading the specs and got to an interesting piece of information...

Has anyone noticed that the new graphics benchmarks at Apple's site says:

(2.26 GHz model compared to previous 2.0 GHz model)

Check the link:

http://www.apple.com/macmini/features.html#performance

I also find interesting that at the Apple Store they also mention the 2.26 GHz model at the bottom of the page but as a "preproduction" model...

This may indicate that Apple may have planned to offer a faster high end model but then decided to step back at the last minute and offer both models at the same speed...

To be honest, at these prices, anyone can buy the basic model and upgrade to 4GB and 400GB or even bigger HD for less than the difference in prices and still have a spare HD to sell on eBay... ;-)

May be the .26 GHz would compensate this price difference more than the HD size or memory don't you think?

2. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

If you go to the store it's an option when configuring it. :)

3. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

The 2.26 is a BTO, select either of the Minis and you can upgrade the processor to a 2.26 C2D for $150

4. applelifestyle thread starter macrumors newbie

applelifestyle

Right! Ha Ha! I got confused by the "preproduction" term but I just found the BTO option at the Apple Store...

Still is interesting that they offer the basic and "high end" model at the same processor speed...

I think I'll get the basic one and then upgrade the memory and HD and have a better "high end" model... ;-)

5. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I'd like to see how much it affects performance. I'm not sure AU$270 is worth the extra 226MHz, but if they are convincing, then i might jump.

6. beginnersview macrumors member

beginnersview

I agree that it does seem strange that both the basic and the (so-called) high-end Mac mini models use exact same 2.0 GHz processor. So the only difference between the models is for $200 US, they give you a second GB RAM and replace the 120 GB HD with a 320 GB HD.

Not a good value - esp if you are at all willing to open it up and replace parts yourself.

All previous releases of Mac mini had a CPU differential between the base and high-end model.
    Looks like Apple cheaped-out or for some other reason - as the only performance option is to get the 2.26 GHz chip for an extra $150 US.

Sad state of affairs for Mac mini purchasers.

7. robotartfashion macrumors 6502

hmm, not sure about most of that

it all depends on perception

to apple:

the mini is for switchers who don't want an all in one, not for performance users/professionals or HTPC users (I know its great for this but apple clearly is not marketing it for this reason as they have the appletv)

most people buying minis will NOT open the mini and do self upgrades

so for this reason they offered a "discount" to upgrade the hd size and ram (not a discount for most macrumors users but everyone else that isn't interested in putty knifing that m effer open)

to possibly sate the masses or bilk people out of money (depending on wether you think the .26 is worth it) they included a bto option.

all this shows is that apple is only interested in marketing ONE model of the mini, but thought they could get some additional $ by selling the upgrades at a discounted rate

the end (according to me)

8. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

^ I agree with that.

To most on this forum they'll get the basic and upgrade the ram and/or hard drive and most likely sell the original parts. I'd bet the majority of users that purchase it will never open it.

Maybe just the view I have but even if I knew nothing about computers and never wanted to open mini i'd still just get the base model and add the 1GB of ram for $50. Have an external HD internal storage wouldn't be an issue.

9. f0h macrumors newbie

video card

128 vs 256 video seems to be the cost difference.

10. The Hammer macrumors regular

They might have considered putting the 9600 M in the high end at least.

11. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

The amount of VRAM goes up to 256 when you upgrade the 1GB model to 2GB or higher anyway. The price is in the HDD and RAM.

12. TrapOx macrumors 6502

Yep.

The CPU is fixed to the logicboard. Get the 2.26ghz cpu from the store because you're stuck with which CPU option you buy.