Where is the ACD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Fonzijr1964, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

Why no ACD?
    When can we see one?
    I really want to screen span on my iMac but i want an Apple display to match. Y no new displays? Could we see them at the new Mac Pro release?

2. suburbia macrumors 6502

I'm waiting on the refresh on the ACD as well. I'm sure Apple wants the spotlight on their current 24" display for a while at least.

3. noonereally macrumors newbie

the delay is driving me nuts too. thought for sure they'd be refreshed at macworld. starting to piss me off.

4. AliensExist4 macrumors member

Do you think they'll have a Matte option, and do you think the design will be the same black border or an aluminum one like they did for the 17" MBP matte version? I've been looking for an aluminum 23" but still not sure if I should wait till however long or short the update is, or just get the 23" and sell it if and when the new displays come out and if I like it that is. I'm leaning towards option 2. What do you guys think?

5. mhokie macrumors newbie

Wait. By selling the display I don't know if you could get your money back (unless you find a good deal). The refresh should happen sooner than later and you'll be able to get more bang for your buck.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I personally believe that the 20" will be discontinued and that the 30" will be given the LED, iSight, speaker, mic, Mini DisplayPort treatment simultaneously with the Gainestown Mac Pro at WWDC.

But that's just me. It's all logical and whatnot. :D

7. AliensExist4 macrumors member

The thing is though I'm in somewhat need of a display for work so I might have to get the 23" and sell it if and when the new ACD's come out and are compatible with older generation Macs. And like I said above, "if I like it" (Look wise)

8. Fonzijr1964 thread starter macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

i am thinking MacPro and ACD's in march

9. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I don't see how it would be logical to discontinue the 20" ACD. Some people can't fit a 24" monitor on their desk. Apple would be killing some of their sales. Surely the 20" ACDs sell well.

Don

10. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

well apple doesnt necessarily see it that way.

hence why theyve made some apparent changes to the display LED itself (no firewire..) and the newly released MB,MBP with no FW and the 17" with no removable battery....alot said those would kill alot of sales..but alot of people are grabbing them all up.

depending on the price point, they could discontinue the 20" and suffice with teh 24" and 30" creating a subsidized line.
    most people wont purchase it unless thye can use it with DVI gfx cards either...or until adapters start coming out anyway..so im assuming their testing the waters out with the 24" since that seems ot be the medium for users alot of 20" are being bumped to 22" and less places/brands are marketing 20" displays.

im sure this has all been in a pipeline for a while its just about when they will give it the light of day to see whats up and what the outcome turns out to be

11. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

12. zephyrnoid macrumors 6502

zephyrnoid

Apple threw us a curveball. As far back as May 2008, folks had been predicting a eminent refresh of : MacPro, ACD, and Final Cut Pro. The lack of anything on these fronts at Macworld, suggests that Apple is being very careful about new product releases in a very down market. I'm guessing that a lot of daily analysis is going on at Cupertino to time releases in a sensible fashion.
    If anyone's getting money back from the Government in April/May, new release announcements should indeed occur in March for synchronized product releases in the Apple Stores around mid April.
    Not sure what your wish list looks like but I'll be expecting:
    - ACD refresh to include LED backlite versions with a plethora of Dell 2408-like connections. In other words for the pros that have money left in the bank.
    - MacPro Refresh
    - That JVC Camcorder that saves in Quicktime
    I'm worried that the recession could mean much longer gaps between releases! That might cause some people to pull the trigger on non-Apple alternatives.

Just my guesses of course.

13. Fonzijr1964 thread starter macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

14. buccsmf1 macrumors 6502

i played this game for about 6 months and finally got tired of waiting. pulled the trigger on a 20 inch refurb about 2 months ago... love it to death. i also got scared when the new 24 inch monitor wasnt matte. my room has lots of windows and i can barley see my glass imac screen in the middle of the day.

15. nanofrog macrumors G4

If you want a matte finish, would you be willing to consider other vendors besides Apple?
    What color schemes are you able to live with?

There's a few really good monitors for video/graphics editing in particular, that have spectacular performance. Not loaded with the "extras" found in consumer gear, but the screen quality more than make up for it. Several threads are around covering the usual suspects. ;)

I went with the NEC LCD2490WUXi. It's black, and happens to match quite nicely with clear anodized aluminum. :)

Other makes would include:
    Eizo Nanao
    Lacie
    BenQ
    Hazro (UK/Europe only?)