where is the APN?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hyperbolical, Dec 26, 2008.

1. hyperbolical macrumors newbie

I have a new officially unlocked iphone from italy. firmware 2.2
    the data plan from at&t is killing me.
    i was told to change the APN but it is not on my phone where people tell me.
    it is NOT in settings>general> network>{there is no Cellular Data Network here, only 'enable 3g', 'data roaming' 'vpn' and 'wi-fi'}

can someone help please?
    thanks

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So let me make sure I have everything straight...

- You have an unlocked Italian iPhone 3G
    - You brought it to the US and use it with AT&T ... contract, PAYG, or what? Are you a long-term resident of the US now or are you visiting and using a SIM temporarily?
    - You want to disable data services by putting in a fake APN?

So let me first ask the questions that might not help, depending on the answers above...

- Can't you just disable your data plan at the carrier level? (I think you can do this for the postpaid AT&T plans, yes? Not sure about prepaid)
    - When you got the phone, how exactly did you set it up? Did you activate it with iTunes after you put your US SIM in it, or did you just put your US SIM in it and turn it on and continue using it?

I'm thinking you don't have the cellular data network item because you're officially activated via AT&T. I wonder if you restore the firmware and jailbreak it (and thereby activate it... if the 3G jailbreak activates it?) if you'll get the menu?

3. lambo macrumors regular

4. pkkrusty macrumors member

You'll need to jailbreak the phone and install an APN editor from Cydia, like "APN Editing" which will unhide that Cellular Data Network menu. I had the same problem bringing a AT&T iPhone to Italy. On a side note to all unlocked US iPhone users who want to use data in Italy on Vodafone, they have a separate iPhone APN for their weekly pre-paid data plans. It's iphone.vodafone.it and NOT web.omnitel.it

5. philippott macrumors newbie

Hi!

Use the iPhone Configuration Utility to create a profile with the GPRS APN.

However in some cases APNs dont need a username or password, then simply use some texteditor to remove the password/and username from the .mobilconfig file and install this then. Worked for me like a charm!

What am I still missing is some info howto add certificates for exchange to the iPhone... any volunteers? :)

Regards,
    Philipp