Where is the backspace (`) key on a Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Meek Wriggle, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Meek Wriggle macrumors member

Like the title says, I can't find the ` key on my MacBook keyboard (I'm using my PC to type this). I need it for Perl programming. Google has failed me, which is odd because it's just a simple key function I want to find. Anyways, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: ` (backspace) is different from ' (single quote) just in case anyone thought it was the ' I was looking for.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

isnt it above the tab key like every other keyboard?

3. Steveness macrumors newbie

next to the z key on a macbook? - mind you im using an alu macbook so it may be different..

4. Meek Wriggle thread starter macrumors member

That's where it should be but it isn't. At least, I'm not able to access it. Mac's have hidden key functions (for example, only last week I learned where to find the # key on my MacBook), so the ` probably needs some esoteric key combo that I need to find. I'm still trying to search Google but keep coming up with nothing of use.

Thanks, I'll check it out in about half an hour (my lunch break). The alu mac keyboards are the same as my White MacBook (only a year old now).

5. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

oh ok you must have a different keyboard layout like the UK one? on the US Apple keyboard the ~ key is above the tab key and # is shift+3.

im not quite sure how you would type ~ but theres plenty of UK members here you might chime in to help you.

7. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

On a UK Apple keyboard the ~ is with the aforementioned ` to the left of the z key.

8. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

All keys on my keyboard are where they are on any other keyboard. And also, backspace is called delete on a Mac keyboard, I literally once saw someone type something on a keyboard and ask where enter was (it's called return on a Mac keyboard), how stupid can you be.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That's surprisingly incorrect. Have you ever even seen the difference between a U.S. and a British keyboard?

10. Meek Wriggle thread starter macrumors member

Heh, you and Steveness were right. Can't believe I missed it. What a dumbass. I've been using my MacBook for over a year now and still get confused by the keyboard sometimes. Thanks for the help guys.

11. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

No worries. I have had to adjust a few different keyboard layouts and it can be a bit confusing.