Where is the best deal on Leopard discs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Grunthaner, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Grunthaner macrumors member

2. simsaladimbamba

That is the price they are going for these days.

3. Grunthaner thread starter macrumors member

OK understood, so can you tell me why people keep their original install discs when they sell their used iMac or other Mac computer? I bought this iMac PPC 20" year 2005 iMac and one for my brother and neither seller would give me the discs they could have at least given me a copy of them. What do they do with them sell them? Where can I get a copy of my original Tiger discs? Then I can buy the upgrade to Leopard discs which I suspect would be cheaper?

Also looking at the ad could I buy this Leopard set and wipe my hd? Will this product work for my PPC? The seller did not know.

Thanks Linda

4. maflynn, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well apple was selling Leopard for 125. It wasn't until Snow Leopard that apple drastically reduced the price of OSX. So I'd say that price is not really out of line

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

For me, I kept my Leopard and Snow Leopard disc's, full retail versions, because storing them is a non-issue, space-wise and because I didn't know if I'd ever need them again or not in the future.

Up until a few days ago I had absolutely no use for them, (though I always toy with the idea of downgrading from ML to SL :cool: ) but now that I got my hands on an iMac G5, I do have a use for them and I'm glad I kept them.

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Have to agree here they are expensive, Apple should allow downloads of the older OS X versions on their servers, they don't sell those older versions, you can't get them legally anywhere.
    I know what I would do.

7. Grunthaner thread starter macrumors member

Now I just took another look and the ad is confusing, as it says full install yet in the description it says version upgrade. I sent a message: "The ad is posted as Full Install yet the description says upgrade version, what is correct?"

I'll post the reply.
    Linda

8. Grunthaner thread starter macrumors member

9. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

It's a full install retail.

----------

Snow Leopard can NOT run on PPC, Leopard CAN.

10. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Have you tried Apple Tech support or the Genius Bar? A local Apple User's Group may be able to help you out as well.

11. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

First.....

ideas that come to my mind are LowEndMac or eBay. But maybe in LowEnd Mac you can get them maybe for $60-75, I guess....

:):apple:

12. michaelsvx macrumors newbie

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here. There are 3 leopard discs available. Full retail for PPC, Full retail for intel and PPC upgrade disc. You can use the PPC upgrade disc to do a clean install. Google for instructions on how to do so.

13. simsaladimbamba

The full Retail DVD was using Universal Binaries, thus it could be used with PowerPC and x86 Macs. Then there was the Drop-In DVD one could get as upgrade DVD for Macs purchased 30 days before the actual release of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.