Where is the best place to get extra RAM for the 27"?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bobright, Dec 1, 2012.

1. bobright macrumors 601

I'm looking to buy extra RAM and put it in myself as its been said a lot Apple charges way too much. Where is the best affordable place to purchase it from and what would I be looking for? (new Mac owner here not too comp savvy)

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

There are different types though DDR2 DDR3 etc what would I be looking to get? Is the specific type not known yet till we get these machines? I'm looking to purchase some before my 27" comes.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Owc has the ram finder but I'm not sure if they know yet. Shouldn't be long though.

5. NJelect macrumors member

My opinion, when configuring a new iMac you may want to select the added memory option and pay the small amount required to allow Apple to perform the upgrade.
    When the latter is performed your warranty cannot be viewed in a subjected manner - should you perform the RAM upgrade yourself and by mishap cause an issue.
    Under the above condition I do not know how Apple will view the warranty repair. :)

Remember, your purchasing an already expensive "new" computer system and taking a chance can be counter-productive.

6. zhandri macrumors 6502

the ram upgrade is really easy and i doubt that it voids the warranty. seriously i would never pay 600$ for the 32gb upgrade on the 27" imac when i can get the rams for 150$ and put them in

7. NJelect macrumors member

Quote: [the ram upgrade is really easy and i doubt that it voids the warranty]

Consider contacting Apple and ask if user upgrading the RAM will in anyway affect the warranty.
    I never intended to be against your viewpoint since we all desire to save money but it would be wise to obtain the assurance from Apple in stating user upgrades are covered under the warranty.

The short few lines of text provided to Apple within an email is a documented legal note for future reference etc...

Congrats on your planned new computer! :)

8. seanm9 macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure it is on apple's web site and it is also a procedure that can be undone, if you wanted to bring the iMac back in for repairs... just open the ram door on the back and remove the new ram and put the old ram in... that is also the frist step in trouble shooting if the new ram doesn't work quite right...

9. Roller macrumors 68020

Memory in the 27" iMac is user-accessible. Adding or replacing it won't void the warranty if you follow Apple's instructions, per multiple documents on their support site.

----------

Crucial's is about $18 cheaper than OWC's, so I'll probably go with it. Both have good reputations.

10. frozi macrumors member