Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I have seen videos of people putting a 7" garmin gps on the windshield. It blocks the view. Where do you put your GPS? Any good location?

As for the front and back dash cams, where would be a good place to put them? I have the Gamin Dash Cam 35.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I have seen videos of people putting a 7" garmin gps on the windshield. It blocks the view. Where do you put your GPS? Any good location?

As for the front and back dash cams, where would be a good place to put them? I have the Gamin Dash Cam 35.
As far out of your line of sight as possible.
Dash cam's usually go behind the rearview mirror on the passengers side.
I used to have my iPhone 6+ mounted on the vent using a proclip for sat nav. These days I have it built in with my golf.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
i used those vent clips in the past,,, The only trouble I had is when u wanna adjust the vent your phone adjusts too and falls off..

not very stable .... Suction cups mounts are a bit better, provided u press hard long enough to make them stick to the windshield... But they are tough to get off too once stuck. GPS's only block the view if you put them in eye-sight view..

Never do that.... Put them lower if u need to reach, or else center of windshield would be good.

Now-a-days, i think we just have smart phones instead of separate GPS devices though.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
i used those vent clips in the past,,, The only trouble I had is when u wanna adjust the vent your phone adjusts too and falls off..

not very stable .... Suction cups mounts are a bit better, provided u press hard long enough to make them stick to the windshield... But they are tough to get off too once stuck. GPS's only block the view if you put them in eye-sight view..

Never do that.... Put them lower if u need to reach, or else center of windshield would be good.

Now-a-days, i think we just have smart phones instead of separate GPS devices though.
Proclip doesn't mount to your vent, but on the vent surround. Most stable I've ever used.
Only reason I didn't buy a new one for my Golf (they are car specific), is the 7" touch screen it already has.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Voice navigation FTW.

When I see someone wandering across both edges of their lane and not keeping a consistent speed, I want to shoot their GPS doodad out of their window.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
i toss the iPhone on to the seat next to me because i only use its voice prompts

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
These days CarPlay... if it's not available then I switch the app to hud view;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.