Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

th3goob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
Okay i had my mac for a year and its progressively getting slow, i fixed the permissions, i wiped the hdd, i had the hdd replaced from apple because it failed, i had the wifi card replaced, even the ethernet port. I do nothing abnormal on this computer except a few games here and there, but no i can barely do this because of how slow this computer is. Its a 2011 mbp 13 i5, on the verge of raging and snapping it.

twiggy0

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2009
Do you have an eBay account? Have you sold stuff on eBay before? If yes, then eBay. Same goes for Amazon. If none of those, then craigslist would be your best bet. Good luck.

th3goob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
Problem is, im not seeing any listed so i dont know how much to list it for, intel i5 13 in screen, 500gb hdd, comes with box, and still has 2 years on apple care

Ryukouki

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
Problem is, im not seeing any listed so i dont know how much to list it for, intel i5 13 in screen, 500gb hdd, comes with box, and still has 2 years on apple care

On ebay something like that can hit low thousands or high 900s. Go there, and sell yourself out. Make it a GOOD listing. Take it from a guy who sold his laptop yesterday. ;)

th3goob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
That was just a crude joke, but seriously i need something that will last me longer than this, it has been nothing but problems...same exact reason i avoided IOS all together.

rikbrown

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
If you have two years of AppleCare left, why don't you take it in to the Apple store to get it fixed/replaced? There's obviously something wrong with your computer - it shouldn't be behaving like that.

jacktorrance

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2009
Okay i had my mac for a year and its progressively getting slow, i fixed the permissions, i wiped the hdd, i had the hdd replaced from apple because it failed, i had the wifi card replaced, even the ethernet port. I do nothing abnormal on this computer except a few games here and there, but no i can barely do this because of how slow this computer is. Its a 2011 mbp 13 i5, on the verge of raging and snapping it.

Snap it.

jamswirl

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
Well at least it's progressively getting slower, gives you time to adjust. :)

May be better off calling a newspaper and listing it in the classifieds, that way you don't have to use your computer to list it.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
That was just a crude joke, but seriously i need something that will last me longer than this, it has been nothing but problems...same exact reason i avoided IOS all together.

Fundementally if you buy a Mac or a PC, they are both the same on the inside, just PC components, you can get a lemon either way. Good luck

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
If you have two years of AppleCare left, why don't you take it in to the Apple store to get it fixed/replaced? There's obviously something wrong with your computer - it shouldn't be behaving like that.

No offense to the OP but my guess is that he just wants a new computer because it seems odd to give up and take such a drastic monetary loss on a 2011 machine with 2yrs left of AppleCare. With a little bit (more) effort he could easily have that fixed or replaced.

Last edited:

Rocky244

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
I think you may be confused, or just uninformed.

Are you complaining of the operating system slowing down your computer? Because that is the only thing that switching to a Samsung will solve. And if that is your complaint, I fear you are going to be severely disappointed in a year when you encounter the same issues, as the operating system is most certainly not the issue.

Either you have faulty hardware, which can be easily fixed with your Applecare, or you have no idea how to use a computer (most likely judging by your words).

Consider this analogy: You can't drive a car into a tree then proclaim the car drives terribly, and that you need to purchase another vehicle that won't behave so poorly when you slam it into a tree.

Well I suppose you can do something along those lines... but you may get called a few names along the way.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Go get a crucial m4 256gb ssd for less than $200 and make that 2011 mbp 13 faster in most apps than a brand new 2012 mbp 13. The only big gaps between the 2 years is the USB 3.0 and the gpu when gaming.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
No offense to the OP but my guess is that he just wants a new computer because it seems odd to give up and take such a drastic monetary loss on a 2011 machine with 2yrs left of AppleCare. With a little bit (more) effort he could easily have that fixed or replaced.

There is a good chance that he could get it replaced with the current model if there are actually problems with it. Just call Apple, don't go into the store. I've found that their phone support is much more likely to help in these situations.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
To me it seems the OP is 'fishin' for a buyer, here, in the forum;)

In today's day and age, Craigslist/eBay/Amazon are obvious. I agree with all others being skeptical of his 'issues'. In the original post, 'casual games' were mentioned. The 13" MBP and it's almighty IGP are NOT the greatest choice if you're actually choosing to use it as a 'gaming' machine. Even casual gaming, if you're referring to modern titles.

Don't get me wrong, it's an exceptional machine for what it is...but there are better choices on the Windows side of the coin if the OP is planning to be a 'gamer' :)

As others have said...if you use your computer for ANYthing else though, you could easily upgrade your RAM from 4GB-8GB (about $50) and your HDD to an SSD for another couple C Notes. It would be fast at just about everything EXCEPT gaming!

J

th3goob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
I was just joking about the samsung thing, its going in for repair tomorrow since the closest apple store is 2 hours away. Im not trying to give up on it, why should i have to have it repaired(for the third time) and not have a working machine? I do not have the money to upgrade it as im a broke arse college student and this was a gift from family for going to college. Its just not cool having a mac that doesnt work. Last night i had wow and skype running and it was at 300% cpu usage combined with wow and skype, that shouldnt be happening. I did a hard drive test and i got 5.6mbps read and write, that should be alot higher. Nothing can be plugged into my USB ports because they do not work. I tried my phone, tablet, flash drive, and external hdd. NOTHING. And to make it even better my wifi can barely hold a signal and they told me the power lines were interfering with my computers signal even after i told then my galaxy note and galaxy tab 2 dont get a messed up reception. Im extremely frustrated i even asked apple what happens if this next repair doesnt do anything and she told me she doesnt even know at this point.

----------

I think you may be confused, or just uninformed.

Are you complaining of the operating system slowing down your computer? Because that is the only thing that switching to a Samsung will solve. And if that is your complaint, I fear you are going to be severely disappointed in a year when you encounter the same issues, as the operating system is most certainly not the issue.

Either you have faulty hardware, which can be easily fixed with your Applecare, or you have no idea how to use a computer (most likely judging by your words).

Consider this analogy: You can't drive a car into a tree then proclaim the car drives terribly, and that you need to purchase another vehicle that won't behave so poorly when you slam it into a tree.

Well I suppose you can do something along those lines... but you may get called a few names along the way.

I know how to use this computer(im going to school to be an IT) Its simple problems that my 5 year old pc hasnt had. I understand that it is a different operating system but still i know how to work it. Its hardware problems to say the least even the people at apple didnt know what to say.

aircanman

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
UK
Get it exchanged by Apple, write a good letter and see where it gets you, there is no need for all those bits to be changed, it is obviously a troubled one, some people call them special.

th3goob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
Get it exchanged by Apple, write a good letter and see where it gets you, there is no need for all those bits to be changed, it is obviously a troubled one, some people call them special.

I simply asked her, is there anyway i can get a refurbished model? and she blatantly told me that was not going to happen. I just want a mac that works, my parents arent super rich or anything but they were able to get me this mac and it doesnt work and they are not too happy about it.

Rocky244

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
I was just joking about the samsung thing, its going in for repair tomorrow since the closest apple store is 2 hours away. Im not trying to give up on it, why should i have to have it repaired(for the third time) and not have a working machine? I do not have the money to upgrade it as im a broke arse college student and this was a gift from family for going to college. Its just not cool having a mac that doesnt work. Last night i had wow and skype running and it was at 300% cpu usage combined with wow and skype, that shouldnt be happening. I did a hard drive test and i got 5.6mbps read and write, that should be alot higher. Nothing can be plugged into my USB ports because they do not work. I tried my phone, tablet, flash drive, and external hdd. NOTHING. And to make it even better my wifi can barely hold a signal and they told me the power lines were interfering with my computers signal even after i told then my galaxy note and galaxy tab 2 dont get a messed up reception. Im extremely frustrated i even asked apple what happens if this next repair doesnt do anything and she told me she doesnt even know at this point.

----------

I know how to use this computer(im going to school to be an IT) Its simple problems that my 5 year old pc hasnt had. I understand that it is a different operating system but still i know how to work it. Its hardware problems to say the least even the people at apple didnt know what to say.

So the entire computer is broken?

Let's examine the possibilities:

1. You're exaggerating, and you're computer is fine.
2. The computer is really old to begin with and thus has crap hardware.
3. You have no idea how to use a computer (I get that your going to be an IT guy, but just saying that those are your future plans doesn't make you one, no offense)
4. You are the unluckiest person on the planet, and you're computer REALLY IS entirely broken, and you just happened to have manufacturing defects on every component...
5. Apple hates you, and screwed you on purpose.

Let's now analyze these possibilities:
1. Probably not fine, you gave examples.
2. I doubt you'd be that confused.
3. No reason this isn't true.
4. If I assume this is false, I'm right 99.9 % of the time.
5. Apple doesn't do that as far as I'm aware. But if you'd like to believe otherwise, then fine.

So, ya. 3 it is.

----------

Keep in mind, when I say you might not know how to use a computer, I mean you are probably the cause to the harm that you see in your computer.

I don't necessarily mean that you're new to computers, but what you may not realize is that you could be doing more to help your computer run smoothly. And you may not even be aware of what those things are.

Point being, computers don't just behave like crap for no reason. You have to find the reason, and help solve it. Exclaiming that the Mac is the problem simply because you can't figure out what the problem is, is stupid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.