Where is the best place to sell your MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jamin00, Jun 8, 2012.

1. jamin00 macrumors 6502

jamin00

I see there is no for sale section on here which surprises me tbh so where would you list your MBP for sale or where do you look when looking to buy 2nd hand excluding the apple store.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is a Marketplace here, but you don't yet qualify.

Your best options are eBay or Craigslist.

3. jamin00 thread starter macrumors 6502

jamin00

OK, so does it become viewable when I have been a member for 6 months and have the required amount of posts as I can't even see it now?

Where in the User CP does it display the amount of posts?

4. DockMac macrumors regular

Where is the Marketplace, and what is the criteria to be part of it?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's correct.
    Your post count is in your user profile, here.
    Read my earlier post.

6. dank414 macrumors member

250 post.... just to get marketplace sounds like a lot of work.

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Stops the site from being a free classified, people would join just to list an item, 250 is not that much

8. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

I'd pick ebay. The seller protection offered by paypal will give you an extra level of security since these computers are expensive. With craigslist, you run the risk of getting scammed even though I don't know how common that really is.

9. Blu-Ray macrumors regular

I sold my mid-2010 21.5" iMac on craigslist fro $975 two months ago. It had bootcamp with Windows 7 which I got free so it ended up costing me about $150 to own it for almost two years.

Craigslist is great since you don't have to deal with any fees or shipping costs since it is local, but you have to be careful with people - especially once they get your number and address.

EDIT - BTW, you may want to check out Amazon Marketplace as an alternative to ebay. I started using it this year and sold a couple of electronics and books.

10. phaedarus macrumors regular

I would not recommend selling anything here.

The last thing you want is a sophisticated audience with a good knowledge base of Apple products attempting to justify lowballing you with all sorts of esoteric but non-relevant facts regarding product cycles and manufacturing.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You definitely want to sell on ebay or Craiglist, so you can excise your skills of deception. It's not like everyone can see the difference between a Core 2 and an Core i7. Be sure to include pirated copies of Adobe Master Collection and claim you'll include other expensive software as an incentive. /s

12. Suno macrumors 6502

Suno

Jesus Christ, 250 posts. At this point, I feel like the forum is encouraging me to spam just to reach that threshold.

Oh sure, I don't necessary have to spam, I could write posts that are relevant to the thread, but in the end I'm still spamming needless posts I normally wouldn't write just for the sake of reaching 250 posts and I consider it spam.

/rant.

13. oddsratio, Jun 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012

oddsratio macrumors newbie

Craigslist is indescribably frustrating. I was trying to sell my dad's older MBP on there for him a couple weeks ago and it still has about two years of applecare left, but I kept getting a persistent lowballer who insisted that it was worth less than some other machine that was listed because that one was full of pirated software. Yeah buddy, good luck keeping CS5 updated before adobe blacklists your SN.

14. phaedarus macrumors regular

Isn't that what selling is all about?

I would never, of course, recommend loading up your system with pirated software or blatantly misleading the buyer into purchasing an inoperable computer.

The fact remains however, listing your Mac for sale here and other Apple-centric websites will only increase the amount of haggling while decreasing the overall value amount from offers you'll receive.

On the rare occasion, this might play into the seller's hands where certain hardware configurations are likely to be more appreciated by knowledgeable consumers who are willing to pay more.

Nevertheless, in the vast majority of cases, it will only cost you more time and money and therefore generalist auction and listing sites is the way to go.

15. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

Just felt like adding this little tidbit to the thread...

I keep getting calls on my base 13" MBP listed on Craigslist and every single person asks if I have the original box. I don't have it and nobody is interested after hearing that.

Moral of the story: save the damn box. >_>

16. oddsratio macrumors newbie

Well... we're talking about being honest here, but you can usually buy an empty MBP box off ebay for ~$20 and just save yourself the hassle that way.

17. mattkilla420 macrumors member

i was wondering why i did not see a link to the marketplace here even though i know one existed.
    imo you should go on all (amazon, cl, ebay, fb, here if possible) and see what others are selling for. figure out how much you want for yours and how long you are willing to wait for someone to buy.

i havent sold a mbp on craigslist but i did sell my iphone 3g a couple years ago on criagslist and it was great. i had about 20 calls and texts within an hour of posting because i looked at what other people were selling the phone for and I knocked down $10-20 what others were asking. plus i put up pictures and my phone.( i wanted a fast sale) i do live in a big city which makes cl a good option, also like others said you dont have to worry about shipping and waiting to get paid. if you have google voice you can set that as your phone number on cl so you dont have to worry about people getting your cell.