Where is the bottle neck?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by haumana, Feb 22, 2012.

1. haumana macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hey, hoping you guys can help.

I have a new (a month old) base model 15" MBP. My cousin has a 2009 top-of-the-line 17" MBP.

Both of us work for the same company and we are both required to access our company's software through a web portal. My MBP creeps along while accessing the information, while my cousin's MBP can query the information almost instantly. Even when I try to resize the browser window, I get the pin wheel for a little bit, while my cousin's system does it smoothly and "on the fly."

Is the bottle neck that I'm experiencing due to the system RAM or the GPU/video RAM?

I asked the guys at the genius bar... They were friendly, but of no informational help.

2. simsaladimbamba

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]
    Further reading:
    ______________________________________________________​

3. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Unless you're short on ram it sounds more like a bug than an issue of raw power. What would possibly make you suspect vram? I am guessing you don't fully understand how that stuff works. OpenCL functions don't really rely on the gpu unless it is powerful enough to do so. You're working through a web portal. Whenever I've personally seen problems with something like that causing the beach ball, it's been a bug.

Can you elaborate further on what you're doing? Also are you and your cousin using the exact same version of OSX? I don't just mean Lion or SL. I mean 10.X.X as in the exact release.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Are you on the same internet connection when this happens?