Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haumana

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hey, hoping you guys can help.

I have a new (a month old) base model 15" MBP. My cousin has a 2009 top-of-the-line 17" MBP.

Both of us work for the same company and we are both required to access our company's software through a web portal. My MBP creeps along while accessing the information, while my cousin's MBP can query the information almost instantly. Even when I try to resize the browser window, I get the pin wheel for a little bit, while my cousin's system does it smoothly and "on the fly."

Is the bottle neck that I'm experiencing due to the system RAM or the GPU/video RAM?

I asked the guys at the genius bar... They were friendly, but of no informational help.

Nov 28, 2010
located

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
Acitivty_Monitor.png

Further reading:
______________________________________________________​

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Unless you're short on ram it sounds more like a bug than an issue of raw power. What would possibly make you suspect vram? I am guessing you don't fully understand how that stuff works. OpenCL functions don't really rely on the gpu unless it is powerful enough to do so. You're working through a web portal. Whenever I've personally seen problems with something like that causing the beach ball, it's been a bug.

Can you elaborate further on what you're doing? Also are you and your cousin using the exact same version of OSX? I don't just mean Lion or SL. I mean 10.X.X as in the exact release.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Both of us work for the same company and we are both required to access our company's software through a web portal. My MBP creeps along while accessing the information, while my cousin's MBP can query the information almost instantly. Even when I try to resize the browser window, I get the pin wheel for a little bit, while my cousin's system does it smoothly and "on the fly."

Are you on the same internet connection when this happens?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.