Where is the 'Check Fares' option in Maps?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fibbons, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Fibbons macrumors member

The e-mail I got about the update said that I can 'check fares' for local travel. I've done some trips which show the bus times and where to get off etc but I can't find the option to check fares. Also I have searched on forums but couldn't find anything. Any ideas? I live in the UK.

2. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Lots of Google Maps features like that are US only.

Phazer

3. Fibbons thread starter macrumors member

I've tried it in New York, travelling from one end of the island to another, this gives public transport but no 'check fares' option. Anyone have any ideas?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It doesn't seem to be available in Chicago, either, at least for our main (CTA) train system. It's kind of useless to us, since our fares are really standardized (it would be useful for our commuter train, I guess, which has different fare systems) -- everyone knows how it works, and most everyone who has an iPhone would also have a Chicago Card Plus or something like that, that we use for paying fares and that gets automatically reloaded via credit card when it gets low.

But anyway, if the feature is not available in NY or Chicago, as the two biggest US city train systems, then I'm guessing it probably isn't rolled out anywhere yet.

As I understand it, your train fare system is rather much more complicated than ours, so I hope you get the feature soon.

I have to say I'm madly in love with having public transit routing on the iPhone. I've already used it once when I just missed a bus transfer, and it makes the Maps feature so much more valuable in that I can find a train station near a target but I don't always know what the bus routes are (erm, rather, I hardly ever know what the bus routes are :eek: ).

5. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Here:

Attached Files:

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Anjin, so do you get fares consistently for your trains and not for your buses? Or is it hit and miss? (Or are your buses free? I noticed that you have a fare only for the first one on your list.)

7. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

So far I have only seen it on the trains.

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+1 ^^^ That's pretty cool. I tried it on BART in the San Francisco, California USA area, but it doesn't work...:(