Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sleepyyet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Greetings, while we're all enjoying the enamors of iOS4, I can't seem to locate the 'custom' dictionary. I go under keyboards but I dont see an option.

ApplEngineer

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
Per Gizmodo, "The only stupid thing is that the option to edit a dictionary only appears if you add a foreign keyboard in the "International Keyboards" menu."

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
I was very disappointed to realize this. You have to add a foreign keyboard like "Japanese 10 Key" for the Custom Dictionary option to pop up. However, you now have an annoying extra step if you use Emoji.

It used to be I tap the globe icon to get my emoji then tap it again to keep typing in English. Now I have to tap twice to jump past the Japanese keyboard to get back to english. Like I said, really annoying if you use emoji. If you don't normally use foreign keyboards then I am sure this won't bother you.

DaGreat01

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I was very disappointed to realize this. You have to add a foreign keyboard like "Japanese 10 Key" for the Custom Dictionary option to pop up. However, you now have an annoying extra step if you use Emoji.

It used to be I tap the globe icon to get my emoji then tap it again to keep typing in English. Now I have to tap twice to jump past the Japanese keyboard to get back to english. Like I said, really annoying if you use emoji. If you don't normally use foreign keyboards then I am sure this won't bother you.

Or you can hold the globe to pick the language. But that probably takes longer.

shigzeo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2005
Japan
OSX dictionary - why ain't it installed?

I'd be happy to find out that the Oxford dictionary from OSX was installed too, not just a user dictionary. The other ones are good, but very expensive. Still nice to finally have another way to update my texting habits with some strokes of reality. But on the other hand, the 'extra step' is difficult.

killinterpol

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
Had the same problem with it not showing up. Found that it only works on Chinese or Japanese keyboards. Stupid.

smnevans

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
The user dictionary is designed to help people writing Japanese or Chinese. It allows users to pre-set which Chinese characters appear when they type a phonetic version of a word. It's commonly used for names of places and people and is a standard feature of most character based input systems and, as such, is a very welcome addition to iOS.

Entering words in here will neither add them to the auto-correct dictionary, stop them from being underlined in red or enable any Text Expander like features.

christopherbw

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010

I have Emoji as well. I just deleted the keyboard after I was done adding all my curse words and slang to the dictionary. The internal memory keeps the information and words you added.

PeteLP

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
I have I just deleted the keyboard after I was done adding all my curse words and slang to the dictionary. The internal memory keeps the information and words you added.

Have you seen the dictionary actually do something with the words you've added. I've tested it and found that it seems do nothing with those words (when used with english). Just as reported by smnevans above.

Have you found something different in your testing? I'm guessing that you you've tried adding the keyboard again to see if the words were still there, but I suspect that you haven't yet tested it while actually typing. Am I correct?

Pete

Suspended
Jun 8, 2009
Kentucky, USA
I found this thread through google cause I remembered this being an omitted feature from the final iOS 4 release. I was so excited I could use it because my iPhone constantly changes hell to he'll. But this didnt work. Has anyone else figured out how to make it, you know, actually work? Also, why is this only activated when you add an Asian keyboard?? That's so stupid. I hope they fix it in a future iOS :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.