Where is the 'custom dictionary' in iOS4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sleepyyet, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Sleepyyet macrumors member

Greetings, while we're all enjoying the enamors of iOS4, I can't seem to locate the 'custom' dictionary. I go under keyboards but I dont see an option.

2. ApplEngineer macrumors regular

Per Gizmodo, "The only stupid thing is that the option to edit a dictionary only appears if you add a foreign keyboard in the "International Keyboards" menu."

3. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Journalism at its best :)

4. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

I was very disappointed to realize this. You have to add a foreign keyboard like "Japanese 10 Key" for the Custom Dictionary option to pop up. However, you now have an annoying extra step if you use Emoji.

It used to be I tap the globe icon to get my emoji then tap it again to keep typing in English. Now I have to tap twice to jump past the Japanese keyboard to get back to english. Like I said, really annoying if you use emoji. If you don't normally use foreign keyboards then I am sure this won't bother you.

5. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

^sounds like a great reason not to use emoji....

6. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Or you can hold the globe to pick the language. But that probably takes longer.

7. cobie454 macrumors regular

cobie454

it took me a long time to find it, then i stumbled upon gizmodo's piece about it

8. shigzeo macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

OSX dictionary - why ain't it installed?

I'd be happy to find out that the Oxford dictionary from OSX was installed too, not just a user dictionary. The other ones are good, but very expensive. Still nice to finally have another way to update my texting habits with some strokes of reality. But on the other hand, the 'extra step' is difficult.

9. marcsorel macrumors newbie

Ok, I've added another keyboard. Where's the dictionary option???

10. Darkanion macrumors newbie

Settings > General > Keyboard is where I found "Edit User Dictionary" on mine.

11. mikejd1 macrumors 6502

not on mine

12. killinterpol macrumors newbie

Had the same problem with it not showing up. Found that it only works on Chinese or Japanese keyboards. Stupid.

13. smnevans macrumors newbie

The user dictionary is designed to help people writing Japanese or Chinese. It allows users to pre-set which Chinese characters appear when they type a phonetic version of a word. It's commonly used for names of places and people and is a standard feature of most character based input systems and, as such, is a very welcome addition to iOS.

Entering words in here will neither add them to the auto-correct dictionary, stop them from being underlined in red or enable any Text Expander like features.

14. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

How stupid! potentially great feature, rendered completely useless.

15. christopherbw macrumors newbie

I have Emoji as well. I just deleted the keyboard after I was done adding all my curse words and slang to the dictionary. The internal memory keeps the information and words you added.

16. PeteLP macrumors regular

Have you seen the dictionary actually do something with the words you've added. I've tested it and found that it seems do nothing with those words (when used with english). Just as reported by smnevans above.

Have you found something different in your testing? I'm guessing that you you've tried adding the keyboard again to see if the words were still there, but I suspect that you haven't yet tested it while actually typing. Am I correct?

Pete

17. bartonlynch macrumors regular

I found this thread through google cause I remembered this being an omitted feature from the final iOS 4 release. I was so excited I could use it because my iPhone constantly changes hell to he'll. But this didnt work. Has anyone else figured out how to make it, you know, actually work? Also, why is this only activated when you add an Asian keyboard?? That's so stupid. I hope they fix it in a future iOS :/

18. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Mine constantly changes "the" to "Thr" while typing. I don't know why but it's starting to annoy the #@% out of me.

19. bartonlynch macrumors regular

You can always reset your dictionary

20. bassanoclapper macrumors 6502

bassanoclapper

Found here: Settings > General > Reset > Reset Keyboard Dictionary